Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   hard breakpedal and ABS light on! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/hard-breakpedal-abs-light-12187/)

byberg 08-20-2010 10:47 AM

hard breakpedal and ABS light on!

Hi!

Im from sweden so will try to eplan as good as possible.

Got a chrysler grand voyager -93 (automatic) two days ago.

The ABS light on the dashboard is on and the P-break light.

The breakpedal is hard and I must press like hell to get the car to stop.

Sometimes the ABS light turns off and the pedal works as its supposed to.

Tried reseting the databox by removing the batteri cables. The ABS light went off and the break worked. after 2 min the light when on but the brakes worked. After 40 minute drive the breakpedal became hard again and i had to press like the Hulk to stop the car.

THinking if there is a vacuum hose that is broken or a glith in some cables to the ABS pump... any ideas?

TNtech 08-20-2010 07:59 PM

You probably have some sort of external brake fluid leak or there is an internal fault in the ABS pump.

byberg 08-21-2010 05:22 AM

Hi!

Yeah thats my thoughts to. I called a chrysler repairshop and he thougt that it was either a leak in a hose or something with the pump.

TNtech 08-21-2010 07:51 PM

Are there any Chrysler dealers is Sweden? I don't get out of USA much :D

Basically the way the recall is done is they will replace the ABS pump piston...test the system then if necessary replace the whole ABS pump.

Subject: Safety Recall #685 -- ABS Actuator Piston and Pump/Motor Assemblies

Models:
Vehicles Listed Below Equipped With a Bendix-10 Antilock Brake System:

• 1991 Through 1993 Model Year Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan; Plymouth Voyager/Grand Voyager; and Chrysler Town & Country (AS)

• Late-1990 Through 1993 Model Year Dodge Dynasty; Chrysler New Yorker, Salon (AC), Fifth Avenue and Imperial (AY)

• 1991 and 1992 Model Year Eagle Premier and Dodge Monaco (BB)

byberg 08-22-2010 08:39 AM

Hi!

There is a small black canister in the engine compartment. I think its supposed to be gas in it for the breaks to build up pressure. Can it just be that easy that there are no gas left? maybe a refill?

TNtech 08-22-2010 09:55 AM

That's the accumulator. It's part of the ABS pump. You DO NOT want to mess with that. You can get yourself hurt if you dont know what you're doing. Go get the recall done.

byberg 08-22-2010 10:09 AM

Can I recall it when its a old car? shouldnt that been done when they noticed the flaw?

AND IF i can do it. what does it cost?

TNtech 08-22-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by byberg (Post 39902)
Can I recall it when its a old car? shouldnt that been done when they noticed the flaw?

AND IF i can do it. what does it cost?

I don't have any idea what the cost would be in Sweden

That recall is LIFETIME....period. I've seen some vans have that recall done 3 or 4 times. Doesn't matter if you're the first owner or 20th.

byberg 08-22-2010 01:09 PM

hm... what is the cost in US?

TNtech 08-22-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by byberg (Post 39906)
hm... what is the cost in US?

$2,000 or more.