Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Help (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/help-29317/)

Jeepinman 05-09-2018 03:34 AM

Help

I have an 05 t&c and not sure if this topic has been covered but I'm having issues with my power lift gate. It will randomly latch and unlatch on its own while the van is parked. It doesn't open all the way just like it's unlocking or something. Also the switch under the rubber cover back there above the license plate to open it won't work but remote and inside buttons work. Now this going on will cause the battery to go dead. Only thing i can do right now is pull the fuse. I haven't found anything that explains what it's doing or how to fix it. Please help and thank you in advance for any info.

goggs 05-09-2018 02:07 PM

Check there's nothing stopping door locking or trying to lock like sealing strip coming away items hanging out door...If your an undertaker make sure all arms and legs are in the Coffin...

Jeepinman 05-09-2018 02:18 PM

Check, check, and not an undertaker but great advice lol. I have had the liftgate inner plastic cover off and checked all wires and even nothing amiss there. I'm not sure if the lock/ latch mechanism is going bad or the the lift mechanism is going out

REBEL59 05-09-2018 02:43 PM

I know EXACTLY where the fault lays on yours as it happened to mine during the winter!
The micro switch in the outside rear hatch handle has gone bad and is randomly making and breaking contact. Take the plate light cover and handle unit off(4 screws) I cut and taped the 2 wires to the handle, and just use the key fob or overhead console switch to operate the rear hatch. Spring is finally here, so will be looking for a replacement handle unit(it does remove from the plate light cover).

Jeepinman 05-09-2018 03:08 PM

As it turns out I'm going to a pick and pull junk yard this weekend and that's why I'm trying to locate the issue. Now that I know what to look for I'll be replacing that part and maybe grab an extra or 3. Just curious.... will the dodge caravan ones as well? Thank you for your help.

REBEL59 05-09-2018 04:41 PM

Once you dismount the unit from the rear hatch(they all bolt up the same and same shape), The handle part can be taken out of it. Just need to splice(solder or butt connector) the 2 wires. The only differences are the trim and logo, so depends on how you want to keep the looks.
IF I remember right, 2 screws are a torx head and 2 are phillips head that secure the cover to the hatch. AND make sure that the ones you pick HAVE the power rear hatch, as some trims still use a cable latch setup.

Jeepinman 05-09-2018 04:48 PM

Copy that. Thank you. I'll be on the hunt Saturday

Jeepinman 05-12-2018 05:05 PM

Problem fixed with new switch

REBEL59 05-13-2018 05:36 AM

Good to hear that you got the concern fixed! Was not such a hard repair, once figuring out what was causing it.

Jeepinman 05-13-2018 05:39 AM

Very true. Now I'm trying to figure out the power sunroof problem.... I'm stumped