Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2008 T&C 4.0 Limited - Nivomat Issues

Old 05-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Question 2008 T&C 4.0 Limited - Nivomat Issues

Where to start....My rear shocks went in my wife's van about 8 months ago. I took it to nearby parts place and had them install the best shocks they had for it. They looked up the part in their Monroe book and sold me a pair of Sensa Trac Load Adjusting Shocks. They worked for about 30 miles. I took them off myself and returned them and they assumed they were defective and gave me another pair. These were better, but when we loaded the kids, the back drags.

Well, I have done some research and found that my van came with Nivomat Load Leveling Absorbers, CH Part #:4721691AE.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement part with Monroe or other mfgr? None of my dealers carry them and they are about $360ea for them to order. I have found them on line for $208+freight from the opposite side of the country and I would like to have them on next week without paying an additional $90 to expedite them. I can't find any specs on these as far as sizes/lengths.

I have found 2 Monroe shocks that came on Chrysler vans: 40200 15.38" and 40201 11.63". Will either of these work? If not, is there something else?

I appreciate your help!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 AM

No one knows if there is an alternate part available?

Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM

Hi,

I'm afraid I may face the same issue in a near future and was exploring the forum, when I found your post. How did it work out for you? Did you manage to install a chrysler pair of shocks or did you find any other solution?

all the best,

Carlos.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos Pt
Hi,

I'm afraid I may face the same issue in a near future and was exploring the forum, when I found your post. How did it work out for you? Did you manage to install a chrysler pair of shocks or did you find any other solution?

all the best,

Carlos.
Although I have an older(04) T&C with Nivomat rear shocks,there is no aftermarket brand equivalent to the Nivomat. Not sure of any changes they made with the later rear suspension to your year, but for my van the closest substitute is a Monroe Load Leveler(helper spring on shock) shock. Not the same functionality as the Nivomat design, but does help keep the "rear end" up verses any regular shock...Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2018, 12:32 PM

I do not have much experience with these shocks but I would consider investigating an air adjustable replacement that may be less $$$

Old 11-17-2018, 07:19 PM

If there's one thing I've learned over time is that the original is always better. I used to have a Volvo with levelmatic (pretty much the same system) and I replaced it with Normal ones... after a while I started having some instability under load and other stuff like that... as soon as I had the chance, got back to stock... they are more expensive, but they do more mileage as well, so in the end, that along with the comfort advantages, make it worth it. If I have to change them, I'll go for the stock ones. Air adjustable (if it is what I think it is) won't change the pressure under different loads...
The alternatives simply aren't good enough, I guess.

Last edited by Carlos Pt; 11-17-2018 at 07:22 PM.