Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Immobilised Vehicle after battery disconnection (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/immobilised-vehicle-after-battery-disconnection-30332/)

Claire McDonnell Brown 01-14-2019 03:48 AM

Immobilised Vehicle after battery disconnection

Hi All! This is my first post, I have reviewed similar threads but no one seems to have the exact same issue as me, nor have I found anyone to have a finite resolution to this issue. In November I purchased an 06 Reg Chrysler Grand Voyager & a friend of mine did some work on it, requiring the battery to be disconnected. We have now re-connected the battery however, it appears that in so doing he has invoked the immobiliser.

I have read many forum threads, watched YouTube videos but all I have managed to do now is make the alarm go off with the inability to stop it and the engine still won't start (dials do their initial "pre-flight" jiggle and settle, the engine just tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tats as you turn the ignition key to start it & the immobiliser dash light blinks then stays on). To stop the loud decibel sound when the alarm goes off, we have disconnected the battery again but it is still sounding (but more quietly) so it must have a secondary power supply; we are hoping that with the battery disconnected this secondary power source will die and the alarm will stop!

We had worked for several weeks on the car, disconnecting & then reconnecting the battery previously (we were replacing glow plugs) and we were previously able to succesfully start the car, then all of a sudden we couldnt, must have done something different this time or reached the maximum amount of times it could be removed before the immobiliser set in. The battery is virtually brand new and fully charged, btw, & the disconnection of the negative was to prevent possible shorts or surges to the electronics system.

Any ideas whatsoever, I would be really grateful, I am located in PO8 Horndean Hampshire UK area (Near Portsmouth) and there are now no longer Chrysler centres in the UK for me to contact regarding this. Whilst my particular circumstance does seem a little different from some ot the other experiences described in threads, there does seem to be a complexity to these Thatcham immobilisers which frequently prevents even the owner from starting the car....but no doubt easily bypassed by a professional thief!

I would even consider advice as to how or where i could get this removed, if it is going to be an ongoing issue with the vehicle, although this initial work being done on the vehicle will be coming to an end shortly, with the hope that nothing will be needed in the near future!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Scotsman4th 01-14-2019 05:34 AM

The pre flight jiggle means the battery is low.
My first port of call would be to give it a good charge and see if that helps

QinteQ 01-14-2019 08:46 AM

"""requiring the battery to be disconnected. We have now re-connected the battery however, it appears that in so doing he has invoked the immobiliser for several weeks on the car, disconnecting & then reconnecting the battery previously"""

- agree with Scotsman4th properly, battery is always No1 on checklist
- a battery for a 2.8 should be in the region of 80/800 and under 3 years old - what's yours ?
- (2) car thinks its being stolen (a) test trigger [spade] wire / both ends of earth points on starter motor/battery !

Claire McDonnell Brown 01-14-2019 09:11 AM

Fab, thanks....its on charge as of now!

Claire McDonnell Brown 01-14-2019 10:02 AM

Many thanks will check the spec when i get in to ensure correct battery is being used, mine is a 2.8, its now on charge and its less than 6 months old

At the risk of appearing dense, what does "- (2) car thinks its being stolen (a) test trigger [spade] wire / both ends of earth points on starter motor/battery ! " mean ? I assumed the car was on shutdown following an attempted theft too, but dont quite understand what youre getting at. Cheers for clarification

QinteQ 01-14-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Claire McDonnell Brown (Post 109107)
Many thanks will check the spec when i get in to ensure correct battery is being used, mine is a 2.8, its now on charge and its less than 6 months old

At the risk of appearing dense, what does "- (2) car thinks its being stolen (a) test trigger [spade] wire / both ends of earth points on starter motor/battery ! " mean ? I assumed the car was on shutdown following an attempted theft too, but dont quite understand what youre getting at. Cheers for clarification

The starter motor on your car has 3 cables. 2 big thick heavy duty wires fixed by nut + bolt and 1 very thin light duty wire fixed by a spade. That thin '''trigger' wire vibrates and comes loose / gets dirty / gets knocked off its spade.

When you sit behind the wheel in PARK with your foot on the foot BRAKE and turn you IGN on to START the GV it 1st sends a signal down that 'trigger' wire if the BCM does not get the reponse it expects it will not allow ANY voltage to the starter motor. Hope this helps.

Claire McDonnell Brown 01-15-2019 01:10 AM

Yup, sure does thanks, thats a great explanation! I am just a non technical person trying to apply some logic to the issue & your clarification is spot on; i will try that too, thanks

KDKC 07-31-2019 02:58 PM

Hi Claire, was you able to find the problem? I have a Voyager and alarm went off as driving. When I switched car off and tried to restart it would not turn over. My key fobs no longer open the doors. Consequently, the car is stuck as it is an Auto and I can not get it into Neutral to push. Thank you