Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

electric mirrors hit glass fold back too far

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned
Default electric mirrors hit glass fold back too far

Hi guys. I've noticed every now and then either of the electric wing mirrors will fold out too far (like almost 180 degrees from closed). I think this happens because if you open the door too fast the door glass pushes the mirror out before it has a chance to swing out electrically.

I'm not sure if they're working properly anyway. When the switch is in the open position they are open constantly.

If the switch is in the closed position they close once the drivers door has been opened and closed after the key comes out. Then when the drivers door is opened the drivers mirror opens or if the passenger door is opened they both open. When the door is closed again the mirrors close. I have to press the switch back to open to make them stay open for the journey.

Can't they just for example close only when the car is locked?

The car is going to a main dealers tomorrow for a software update to solve the central locking overloading problem (temp fixed by removing iod fuse) and I wondered if it's something they could do.

Also I've noticed there is no dash light to show the headlights are on (only high beam on top dash strip and fogs near the switch). Is this correct?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Hi mate I have exact same issue with mirrors and I also have the same issue with Central locking I also have to remove iod fuse and when it replace and system resets my mirrors fold out all the way facing out wards ...

I'm curious to no did the software update cure the central locking issue ? What did the dealer charge for this

Thanks

Mark

Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Banned

Update worked perfect not had a single hick up with central locking since.

Cost £42 for 30mins labour. Took them a lot longer as they didn't realise they have to download all prior updates sequentially or something and can't just skip to the latest one. But they honored the quote.

When booking tell them the service news job number (search forum) as they didn't have a clue what I was on about and tried to blame it all on my parrot kit which they reckoned was also responsible for a long list of error codes. Central locking had been like this for months and the parrot was only installed 2 weeks ago! Anyhow the update worked and they also cleared all the codes (they never bothered to write them down so who knows what they are).

Don't let them charge you more than 30mins it says in service news instructions it's 30mins labour and free if within warranty. Personally I think this should have been a recall (make sure the recalls have been done when ur there they can check from your vin number).

Never got anywhere with mirrors I just remember to press the switch when I get in and out and try to open the door slowly.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Banned

Btw my main dealer would have done it for free during a £350 service but they couldn't hire out the drb3 tool till October and I didn't want their service anyway so went to the next town and just paid the £42. They had me bpoked in 3 days after I phone.

Here are the instructions kindly provided by another forum user

NUMBER: 08-040-04
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: December 9, 2004

THE DRBIII® FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN ARE AVAILABLE ON DealerCONNECT.
FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE FLASH FILES AND REPROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ITIL/ISIS DVD FEBRUARY, 2005.
SUBJECT:
Flash: Driver And Passenger Power Door Lock Switches Inoperative And Opening the Liftgate Triggers The Theft Alarm
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Body Control Module (BCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2004 - 2005 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2004 - 2005 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2005 vehicles equipped with Power Locks only (sales code JPB) and 2004 - 2005 vehicles equipped with Power Locks, Power Liftgate, and Security Alarm (sales codes JPB, JRC and LSA respectively).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may describe:
· The alarm sounds erroneously when opening the power liftgate using the key fob while the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) is armed.
· The driver's and/or passenger's door lock switches are inoperative.
The technician may find "Left Unlock Output Failure" and/or "Right Unlock Output Failure " Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) in the BCM.
NUMBER: 08-040-04
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: December 9, 2004

DIAGNOSIS:
1. Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present, other than those listed above, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
2. With the ignition switch in the "RUN" position, determine the original part number of the BCM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. "DRBIII® Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2005 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
d. "Body Interior"
e. "Body Computer"
f. "Module Display"
g. Record the "Software part #" on the repair order for later reference.
h. Check DTC's
3. If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, use the following table to determine the appropriate action.
Year Model BCM Software P/N Action Required
2004 RG/RS 04836966AG or earlier Perform Repair Procedure
2005 RG 04840935AC or earlier or 04843198AA Perform Repair Procedure
2005 RS 04839664AE or earlier or 04841954AA Perform Repair Procedure
2004 RG/RS 04844016AA or higher Further diagnosis is necessary. This bulletin does not apply
2005 RG 04843198AB or higher
2005 RS 04844017AA or higher or
04841954AB or higher or
04843752AA or higher
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH2002 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII®)
CH7000A/7001A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII® connector
TechCONNECT Workstation
NOTE: An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red colored connector at the DRBIII® connection. Use this cable whenever a flash is being performed.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII®; must be programmed with the latest revision level available.
08-040-04 -2-
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted and then follow the directions on the DRBIII®.
1. Before beginning the reprogramming procedure, remove any old flash reprogramming files from the DRBIII® memory. To clear the memory from the MAIN MENU:
a. Simultaneously press the "MORE" and "YES" keys.
b. A screen will appear requesting a "COLD BOOT".
c. Follow the on screen instructions by selecting the "F4" key.
d. When the DRBIII® reboots to the MAIN MENU, proceed to Step #2
2. Connect the DRBIII® to TechCONNECT. Open TechTOOLS and verify that the "DRBIII® Status: Connected" message is in the upper right corner of the TechTOOLS screen.
3. Enter the "Software part #" recorded during "Diagnosis" in the "Parts Criteria" area and select "Show Updates". TechTOOLS will populate the available updates.
4. Select the calibration.
5. Select the "DRBIII" radio button which is next to the "Download/Update" button.
6. Select the "Download/Update" button.
7. Monitor the "Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT and follow the instructions on TechCONNECT. When the flash process is complete, proceed to Step #8.
8. Disconnect the DRBIII® from TechCONNECT.
9. Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts.
10. Connect the DRBIII® to the vehicle.
11. Turn the ignition to the "Run" position (engine not running).
12. Download the flash from the DRBIII® to the vehicle. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. "Vehicle Flash"
b. Follow the directions on the DRBIII® screen.
13. Verify that the problem cannot be repeated by cycling the ignition switch OFF/ON and actuating both door lock switches a few times. If any door lock failure still persists then further diagnosis is necessary. Verify the BCM "Software p/n" was updated to the new software p/n using Diagnosis Step #2.
NOTE: Due to the BCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, PCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. Check all modules using "Module Scan", record the DTC's, and erase these DTC's prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Erase any DTC's in the PCM only after all other modules have had their DTC's erased.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
08-19-02-96 Reprogram Body Control Module 0.5 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
FM Flash Module
-3- 08-040-04
But they just took the number and found it for themselves.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply I'll give my local dealer a call tomorrow and see what they say .. Where are you located what dealer did u use ..

Thanks

Mark

Old 09-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Banned

It was the Pentagon chrysler dealer in Barnsley. Found it on the chrysler website.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Cheers Nate I'll get it sorted

Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Mate#