Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Update to HDD completely wrecked my stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Angry Update to HDD completely wrecked my stereo

I have a 2008 Town and Country. It has the radio with the HDD/hard drive but no navigation. I was in the dealership for brakes two weeks ago and they mentioned there was an available update for the radio. Fine, sounds good. After the radio updated, nothing worked. The "Juke box" was renamed "favorites" (OK, that's not a problem), but it doesn't work. And the problems as various, and changing. A few of the problems:

I choose
  • one album, call it "Album A," and instead it plays the songs from "Album B," all the while displaying the track info for Album A.
  • It plays nothing at all. Zero. No sound whatsoever, and turning the volume **** does not cause the little volume bars to appear in the bottom left of the display. when this happens, nothing, including AM, FM, Satellite, etc. will work. Nothing at all.
  • I choose Album A, and it plays, but the songs are now in alphabetical order, rather than the order on the album (this was NOT a problem prior to the update)

Again, this is just sample of the problems, not a complete list. Not only that, it's a moving target. So the problems described above may affect Album A now, but the next time I start the car it maybe only affects another album or set of albums.

I went back today and the guy installed the previous version of the software. So, I have the "jukebox" tab back, instead of the "favorites." But the problems are all pretty much exactly the same, as I described above. The guy was superficially helpful, said he'd describe the problem to his boss on Tuesday (four days from now, the next day they'll work on the same shift). He also said he will email his contact at Chrysler. In the meantime, I have a very expensive radio that is useless.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is it possible that Chrysler is really just putting out such a garbage update? Or, did the dealership perhaps use a disk meant for a system with the Navigation, rather than the type of system I have?

I am a pretty mild mannered person, but I am totally above and beyond, white-hot frustrated. As I told the dealership guy, I drive a minivan, for crying out loud; a cool stereo was ALL I had, and now I don't even have that!

I have not tried my iPod, to at least see if I can have music that way. As a side note, I have been through like three different cords to plug my (brand new Touch) iPod into the car, and the only way it works is if I also have the USB cord plugged into the iPod and the car. It's like the audio cord doesn't make a "connection" unless the USB cord is also plugged in, although it wasn't like this when I first got the car. After a few months the cord started this problem, I bought a new cord, same problem, third cord same problem... Recently I bought a new ipod, and, same problem. I am less concerned about this, but I wonder if these two things indicate I need a new radio all togehter (which means re-ripping 200+ albums!!!)...

Thanks for any thoughts!!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:01 PM

I couldn' figure out how to edit my original post... I'm responding to add the word "mygig" and My Gig so if anyone is searching like that (I think those are the actual right words) my question will turn up in the list of results. Thanks again for any help!!!

Originally Posted by lzollner
I have a 2008 Town and Country. It has the radio with the HDD/hard drive but no navigation. I was in the dealership for brakes two weeks ago and they mentioned there was an available update for the radio. Fine, sounds good. After the radio updated, nothing worked. The "Juke box" was renamed "favorites" (OK, that's not a problem), but it doesn't work. And the problems as various, and changing. A few of the problems:

I choose
  • one album, call it "Album A," and instead it plays the songs from "Album B," all the while displaying the track info for Album A.
  • It plays nothing at all. Zero. No sound whatsoever, and turning the volume **** does not cause the little volume bars to appear in the bottom left of the display. when this happens, nothing, including AM, FM, Satellite, etc. will work. Nothing at all.
  • I choose Album A, and it plays, but the songs are now in alphabetical order, rather than the order on the album (this was NOT a problem prior to the update)

Again, this is just sample of the problems, not a complete list. Not only that, it's a moving target. So the problems described above may affect Album A now, but the next time I start the car it maybe only affects another album or set of albums.

I went back today and the guy installed the previous version of the software. So, I have the "jukebox" tab back, instead of the "favorites." But the problems are all pretty much exactly the same, as I described above. The guy was superficially helpful, said he'd describe the problem to his boss on Tuesday (four days from now, the next day they'll work on the same shift). He also said he will email his contact at Chrysler. In the meantime, I have a very expensive radio that is useless.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is it possible that Chrysler is really just putting out such a garbage update? Or, did the dealership perhaps use a disk meant for a system with the Navigation, rather than the type of system I have?

I am a pretty mild mannered person, but I am totally above and beyond, white-hot frustrated. As I told the dealership guy, I drive a minivan, for crying out loud; a cool stereo was ALL I had, and now I don't even have that!

I have not tried my iPod, to at least see if I can have music that way. As a side note, I have been through like three different cords to plug my (brand new Touch) iPod into the car, and the only way it works is if I also have the USB cord plugged into the iPod and the car. It's like the audio cord doesn't make a "connection" unless the USB cord is also plugged in, although it wasn't like this when I first got the car. After a few months the cord started this problem, I bought a new cord, same problem, third cord same problem... Recently I bought a new ipod, and, same problem. I am less concerned about this, but I wonder if these two things indicate I need a new radio all togehter (which means re-ripping 200+ albums!!!)...

Thanks for any thoughts!!!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM

They're going to have to replace your radio. They can't undo that. If there is a jukebox or hd corruption issue...that's it.

Ask them to look into recall H11. If you leave me the last 8 of your VIN I can tell you if it applies.

It's a software update BUT it also states this>>>>>

The MyGIG radio on about 161,000 of the above listed vehicles may become
inoperative due to either a jukebox or hard disc drive corruption concern. A radio
that becomes inoperative due to either of these concerns must be replaced.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-01-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Wow! Thank you for this response! I googled the recall and found that for Town and Country vans, it applies to those manufactured through April 17, 2008 with the "MDH" 040723, or, vehicles manufactured through 2/15/08 with the MDH 021513. I have no idea what "MDH" means, but I thought I'd try a bit of detective work. So, armed with these numbers I marched out to my car, and learned my van was manufactured in July 2008, and has the MDH 070114 014AB. So, a very very promising lead, but I'm (sadly) afraid not the answer to my problems.

Unless I am reading/understanding those numbers wrong?

I should add, in case I didn't explain this well the first time, that everything was functioning fine before they updated it when working on the brakes. I had no problems to speak of at all. So, for two and a half years, the thing was fine, until this update.

Thank you very much for your help, and I would really appreciate any other suggestions.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Yes, it's very possible they used the wrong update disk. They need to fix the problem by getting the right disk or swapping out the radio. At this point the right diak may not be of any help though. They are not always crystal clear.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.