Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Lost Horn function

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM
Default Lost Horn function

04 T&C... recently lost horn function, it DOES sound when locking the van. Fuse and relay are good in the engine compartment fuse panel. MY thought is contacts in the steering wheel pad(airbag) or a bad clock spring assembly. No other problems from my fine almost 200K mile ride... Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 PM

I think you have it figured out.
Now to figure out which it is.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe
I think you have it figured out.
Now to figure out which it is.
Thanks for the reply ...But are you not going to post me the "magic bullet" fix for my problem???...LOL and ROFL

Old 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM

OK, then here is a magic bullet fix.
Install aftermarket horn button.

Optional magic bullet fix.
Purchase a squeeze bulb type bicycle horn at walmarts and mount it to drivers side mirror.

Last edited by BiliTheAxe; 01-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 AM

OK, then here is a magic bullet fix.
Install aftermarket horn button.
ROFL!...I thought of that, and would probably be easier to find and hit when needed than the way the contacts are positioned on the steering wheel center cover pad! Especially in the COLD weather we're in now for a couple more months!
Actually was thinking of removing the 2 piece column cover and checking to see if I could get at the contacts to the clock spring. have seen those "tarnish" and not allow certain functions of various steering wheel mounted controls.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 AM

UPDATE: Thanks to the extreme cold weather, it took some time to sit in a cold van and take column covers off to check things. But the other day it was warm enough to do so. I've determined that it is a bad clock spring unit, but did not take the steering wheel off to inspect further. The housing cover was loaded with grit and grime from age, and suspect that the contact rings inside are in similar condition, even though all other function are working fine. Also noted that the unit did not feel securely fastened, as there was some "wobble" felt.
NOW before I go and order in a replacement, I have ONE QUESTION to pose to anyone "in the know"... Does the clock spring assembly come WITH the turn signal canceling cam? My left has not canceled since buying the van 2 1/2 yrs. ago, and my donor van was the same. The cam was there and not broken but was loose and wobbly, with no way to inspect further without full disassembly of the clock spring from the column.
I've looked at illustrations on a few parts sites but have yet to find one that definitely shows that cam(white plastic) with the clock spring. Would love to be able to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone"!
EDIT: Scratch the cancel cam question...Finally found a pic, and YES it is incorporated in the clock spring assembly!

Last edited by REBEL59; 02-09-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:46 PM

UPDATE 03/21/19:
Well I have horn function back....I swapped the fuse box(engine bay mounted) with my old 04 parts van. BUT I lost radio sound unless I put a test probe light(connected to ground) to the # 85 blade of the NBS relay....then audio sound worked.
I did this swap in hopes of fixing a hard fault P0032 code that recently cropped up(I have a thread about that also). The "run down" of that problem is that in checking the O2 heater circuit power and ground wires in the engine harness, that I had good ground.BUT the 12v power wire on a stone cold motor would only have 12v for about 4 seconds on the first attempt and had to wait a few minutes with key off before checking again with just turning the key to the run position. There is NO POWER there when motor is running.
I really like my 04 van, but am finding that a replacement fuse panel is like nonexistent by web search so far save for USED ones. I also learned just where the ECM/PCM is located in hopes of taking that from my parts van also, but thanks to NY corrosion...that will have to wait for better (nice spring day) weather to try and remove...it's pretty crusty located in front of the LF wheel basically under the headlight assembly!
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
BTW, I've cleand and lubed the battery grounds at the motor(sick rusty) and the single wire ground under the battery fuse panel area. I've read of some multi wire ground in the LF corner area...but can not locate that to check for that...HELP???

Last edited by REBEL59; 03-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 PM

This might help you with the ground locations.
It is of an 06 T&C, but it should be close.
https://i.ibb.co/hVvHJHC/how-to-inst...nd-country.gif

Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 PM

This might help you with the ground locations.
It is of an 06 T&C, but it should be close.
https://i.ibb.co/hVvHJHC/how-to-inst...nd-country.gif
Thanks for the response! That diagram is very similar in the front end ground points that I've done already. will look into the interior cowl ground spots. But I have a feeling that for the radio sound(all other things function) that it is going to be the fuse panel(semi TIPM). board. Since the radio worked fine with it's original fuse panel, but had lost the horn function. My parts van one has the horn function but not audio (has the high end nav/6 changer cd/amplifier system). My parts van had basic radio and that relay spot was not used in it, I think corrosion did it's nasty by nothing being plugged into that spot.
Pretty sure that my O2 heater circuit problem is the afore mentioned ECM/PCM , OR maybe another bad fuse panel for that system also( I've NO wiring/pin out diagrams to study .

Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 PM

This link has the factory service manual for the 04 Town and Country.
Right click and save is much better than trying to view it online.
PDF file.
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...cd_intlpdf.pdf

Quick Reply: Lost Horn function