Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Major Problems... Oil Has Little Silicone Like Balls In?! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/major-problems-oil-has-little-silicone-like-balls-4017/)

dellared 10-23-2007 03:33 AM

Major Problems... Oil Has Little Silicone Like Balls In?!

:(Well took my car into Kings yesterday... they phoned me about midday to tell me that the funny noise was most probably coming from the oil filter, which they then changed... After they did this they started the engine and althoughthis stopped the problem noise I took it in for... They heard a knocking noise (this wasnt there when we took the car in)... the engine was turned off immediately... they drained the oil from the car which was extremely thick and in the sump they saw what seemed to be silicone balls (you know those little bags of things that you get with new things to keep them dry that we're told to dispose of carefully?... well those)... This caused a major scene in the garage apparently and everyone went to gather around my car [&o]... We were called to go down to the garage which is about7 miles away to go and see what exactly we were dealing with... we were told that this would mean a new engine and that we should expect to pay thousands :([:@]... The guy dealing with itwent away to do the figures and phone us when we got home... we waited for the call ... when he phoned us he said, well ive done the pricing and the cost all in will cost you 7,200 pounds(at this point I was feeling pretty [:'(]), then headded;BUT angels must be looking over you, he said he didnt know which god we believed but we're being looked after! ... Another mechanic looked at the car after we had left and said that all we needed was a main crank baring and something about bottom end shelves (all a little too technical for my liking) ... but this was going to cost us 1,200 pounds and it is on what is known as a backorder from America which will take 7/10 days ...

I phoned the garage who did the last oil change (17th July, 2007) and he said they use drum oil 10/40 semi synthetic and always use this ... they had also changed the oil pressure switch and done something to the anti roll bar bushes & links (which was done under warranty)...

So Im guessing Im asking what the hell could these little balls be?
Is fixing the main crank baring going to be enough?
When does the Warranty actually run out and if its 37,500 miles and ours has done 23,000 genuine miles do we have any ground to stand on?

Your advice pleaseguys :)... I dont know where to take this next (apart from the chin of course)

**ok it would seem that our car is the first to have this happen to it in the country ... that the chrysler garage know about ... and the first to have this job done ** ... meanwhile we have to sit and wait for the parts to come for them to do the job :(

Stretch 10-23-2007 10:13 AM

RE: Major Problems... Oil Has Little Silicone Like Balls In?!

I would put in fresh oil and filter, drive it 1K miles or so and change oil/filter again and see what it looks like and how the engine acts. In between, keep looking at the dipstick periodically and see if the oil appearance is staying normal.

dellared 10-25-2007 05:04 PM

Thanks Stretch ... well when we get the car back, we'll have a go at that ... at the moment Im kinda looking on the dark side and thinking the worst :( ... Every time I drive it I'll be wondering if somethings going to go wrong!

Your inputs appreciated, many thanks

Della

dellared 10-28-2007 05:36 AM

:( woulda thought I mighta got more of a response from you guys (N) ... I know that people have been looking at this because it wouldnta got 96 hits outta nowhere ...

Any of you willing to give any sorta response at all?

If only 'bad luck' ... 'never heard of anything like that before' ... hmmmmm

I posted this on the Toyota site and had a far better response on there and they havent even got Chryslers! ... Whats that saying for you?

WYOCHIMNEYSWEEP 10-28-2007 09:35 AM

silicone balls to me may suggest oil filter came apart. change oil filter brands