Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Motor Blower installation (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/motor-blower-installation-16631/)

Paige 01-18-2012 06:17 PM

Motor Blower installation

Hi,
This forum looks great so hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a 2003 Chrysler T and C. This saga started last Oct '11. The heater fan would run on high despite what level of speed you put the fan on . Also, you could not even cut the system off...the fan would just run on high like crazy. So...I replaced the resistor and wonderful it was fixed. Three days ago (Jan '12) the blower did the same thing, so I got worried that something was burning out the resistor. Maybe the motor blower surged too many amps??? The resistors run about $70 so I thought I would replace the motor blower as well instead of just spending out for a resistor over and over. The problem: I can't get the motor blower cover off. I unscrewed three main screws, but it seems like it is still be held in place rather tightly. Do I have to remove the entire dash board to get it out? Am I missing a screw? Am I over my head??? Maybe I should just try another resistor and see what happens. Just hate to blow 70 dollars if it burns out again in the near future. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, Paige :)

Raptor 07 01-18-2012 07:53 PM

No, don't take the dash apart other than the glove compartment. There is a 4th bolt against the firewall. This is a typical explanation from another forum.

"I used my Helms manual when replacing the motor in mine about 6 months ago. There is one screw that is painful to remove on the blower casing, and just as painful to reinstall. It is out-of-site, against the firewall, and pushed up against the firewall insulation (use a small mirror to look behind the blower and you'll see it). I had to use a long flat-blade screwdriver to tear away the insulation directly under the screw to make room for access to it. I used a nut-driver on all other screws except this one. For this one, I used a 1/4" ratchet with a long extension and universal.

It takes a lot of patience and maybe two hours to replace.

By the way, if you have to replace the resistor pack too, Autozone sells them now. They are cheaper than the dealer and come with the standard lifetime warranty. I exchanged mine once before I finally had to replace the blower motor. Once I had the old motor out, I was surprised that it was still running at all. It was hard to turn by hand."

Many have stated they just brake the tab off. Doesn't effect operation.

Paige 01-18-2012 08:23 PM

Thank you Raptor

Thank you for the information. I thought there must be another screw. I have already bought a new resistor from Carquest and the motor blower from Napa. I have three young kids, so time to work on this project is interrupted beyond belief! Hopefully I will have a chance to work on it tomorrow and I will keep you posted on my efforts. I am sure I will have more questions.....Thank you again, Paige

CHRYSLER TECH 01-18-2012 09:32 PM

there will be one screw really hard to get to in the back fold down the carpet it will make it a little more easy to reach.

Paige 01-27-2012 06:43 PM

Hi Raptor 07,
It is me again. I had a chance to get that fourth screw out (warm weather and staying very busy has not been a great impetus to work on it), but unfortunately it still seems as if there is another screw holding the motor blower cover on. Is there a fifth screw? Or, is the cover on in such an awkward, tight way that there is not enough room to pull it down and off? At the bottom of the cover are two screws holding on some electrical thingy. Should I take that off to give me more room to pull down on the cover? I tried to remove the thick insulation, but it is so tightly packed that I tore part of it....don't want to tear that stuff out if I can help it. Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Thank you,
Paige

kmcross1972 01-29-2012 10:30 AM

I have a 2004 Chrysler town and country with Automatic Temperature Control. For the last year the A/C and heater were not working all the time. You would be driving and the A/C would work for different lengths of time then it would stop working and then come on again. Finally the unit stopped blowing all together. I read several post and got advice and was told to change the blower motor resistor. That was easy enough. I followed the directions and took the negative terminal off the battery, replaced the resistor behind the glove box hooked the battery back up and nothing. The unit still does not work on heat or A/C. Could it be the relay switch located in the fuse box? Don't know what to do please help anyone.

Raptor 07 01-29-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paige (Post 58144)
Hi Raptor 07,
It is me again. I had a chance to get that fourth screw out (warm weather and staying very busy has not been a great impetus to work on it), but unfortunately it still seems as if there is another screw holding the motor blower cover on. Is there a fifth screw? Or, is the cover on in such an awkward, tight way that there is not enough room to pull it down and off? At the bottom of the cover are two screws holding on some electrical thingy. Should I take that off to give me more room to pull down on the cover? I tried to remove the thick insulation, but it is so tightly packed that I tore part of it....don't want to tear that stuff out if I can help it. Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Thank you,
Paige

If you can PM me an email address I can send you the procedures for the removal. Or... maybe you can glean something out of this terrible video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U7T8Nb-JMI

Raptor 07 01-29-2012 03:51 PM

Kmcross1972 post is entered three times on this forum on three active threads. Disregard this post. Instead go here: https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-heater-16697/

Paige 02-04-2012 10:35 AM

Hi Raptor 07,
Success! The video, although rather a bad one, allowed me to install the motor blower. Everything is great, however the new motor blower is louder than the factory installed blower. When sitting at a stoplight, I can hear it run and a slight whistling noise. I thought I may purchase a different brand and install it again to see if I can get rid of the "whine"??? Maybe I will get use to it, but it is bugging me for now. I did notice when I pulled off the motor blower cover, there was like another half type of vented cover that partially swiveled. I could not remember exactly how it was turned when I placed the cover back on...hopefully I got that part oriented correctly. Not sure if that could be the cause of the noise I hear...
Anyway, I really appreciate you help.
Thank you,
Paige