Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   it is a new engine job (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/new-engine-job-11992/)

nick v6 07-28-2010 06:39 AM

it is a new engine job

ive got a v reg 2000 voyager 3.3v6
when i had it the head gasket had gone
i was then later told it had sat for 9 weeks
i took the heads off and the pistons was full of water
i drained the sump and got a bucket full of water and sludge

i then tried to turn the crank over to see if the block was seized and yep it was solid wont even budge

ive tried soaking the block and cylinders in desiel as i know it has worked in the past but nothing on this 1

is there any other tip to try or is it anew engine job
thanks

glowplug 07-28-2010 08:34 AM

Chances are the previous owner ran it with the blown head gasket until it siezed. You will more than likely have to drift the pistons out. If the engine has wet liners it may disrupt their seating however worth a shot. I have never worked on those engines but have done a lot of rebuilds in my time including many where the engines were siezed solid. The decision as to what to do will come down to your willingness, ability and wallet.

You could revive the engine depending on the degree of damage. An option is to remove the transmission and sump, remove the crankshaft and try and drift the pistons out from below. Once out you will be able to ascertain the damage to the bores and piston skirts. If the scoring on the bores is not bad you could revive them with a hone. You will need to check for bore ovality with an inside micrometer as well though as this will have an impact of ring sealing.

As for the pistons again scoring on the skirts is not a major issue so long as it is not excessive. Wet and dry paper along with patience and perseverence can restore to an acceptable degree or if you have access to a lathe you can redress them. If however the skirts have collapsed you will need to replace. The importatnt part is the top half of the pistons where the rings sit. This must be sound and all the ring grooves clean and without damage. Using a feeler guage you can check the soundness of the rings but this must be done at 3 points of the bore top middle and bottom.

Aboslutely nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it. However you may find that a donor engine off a scrap car is the cheapest option. These cars are alwasy being broken on eBay and I have seen engines going for as litle as £250. Head gaskets are a common theme on the V6 so you should do a top end job on any engine you get.

When doing the head gasket it is foolhardy not to relap the valve guides and change the valve stem seals. However remember that if it is a shimmed engine you will need to reshim afterwards. If however it uses hydraulic cam lifters compensation is built into the mechanism.

Best of luck

nick v6 07-29-2010 02:46 AM

thanks for the advice
ive been doing a bit of searching on ebay and found a engine which runs sound
ive got new head gasket set here and a new water pump so once the new engine turns up i will be replacing headgasket and water pump before i drop the new engine in
hopefully if the weather will hold out for me the weekend i should have it up and running

will keep you posted