Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Noisy ABS brakes (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/noisy-abs-brakes-10371/)

DRam 12-03-2009 08:31 AM

Noisy ABS brakes

Greetings. I'm new to the forum, and new to the Chrysler T&C. We have a 2006 Limited, bought it last May with 17,000 miles on the odometer. So far it's been a great car, no problems. I haven't been overly impressed with the brakes though. A couple deer have nearly bought the farm because the van stops so slowly.

Now we have ice on the roads, and the ABS has activated a couple times. When it does one would swear the front end of the car is going to fall off from the clamor, clatter and vibration that results. Then when starting after a stop after the ABS has activated the same noise is present, but at a lower level.

The same noise has occured a few times when driving straight line on ice, causing me to wonder if it might be the TRAC system.

Is that normal for Chrysler? Other vehicles with ABS I've driven haven't made near this level of drama stopping on ice or snow, and none have had something similar to the TRAC system.

Thanks for any information or advice.

DRam

22chrysler 12-03-2009 11:15 AM

This is a question you need to have a professional look at. for what you 'feel' may be normal or may be a serious problem. in either case, it's obvious you need peice of mind as to proper operation or lack there-of. It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone on here to determine an answer as your 'feelings' can and will be much different than anyone elses.
as for traction control.. IMHO, it is junk. turn it off. the traction system applies brake to the wheel loosing traction. bad idea. I observed someones car come to a complete stop climbing a snowy hill. The traction system sensed wheel spin and applied the brake to that wheel, then the other wheel would spin.. back and forth causing the vehicle to fail to move. had the tires been able to spin with some driver control, they would have easily made it up the hill like I did. I know this was the issue because I walked down the hill to help them, turned off the traction control and they just zipped right on up.

DRam 12-03-2009 01:10 PM

Thanks 22. I read up on the TRAC system after posting and came to the same conclusion you did. What were they thinking when they came up with that one?

I'll have a mechanic drive it and get a professional opinion on the ABS.

CHRYSLER TECH 12-03-2009 09:33 PM

what u feel and hear is normal for the abs to pulse u will feel in the pedal like a pump is going off under your foot. The ABS is designed to apply the brakes on and off about 100 times a second this way the wheels dont lock up and u skid the abs is designed to keep control of the van while in a panic stop. Trac control does the same thing but to one or more wheels that are turning faster then the others are.