Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Not happy with my T&C (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/not-happy-my-t-c-17560/)

janer 05-16-2012 08:20 AM

Not happy with my T&C

I recently purchased a used 2010 T&C, gorgeous van and everything seemed fine, until,

Suddenly I lost power, steering was very difficult but I managed to pull over. Turned off and then restarted and all was fine. This happened 3 times in a half hr. period. Luckily I was on a country road and not the 401.

Went straight to my mechanic. He spent 3 hrs with the computer and could find nothing.

The only suggestion was moisture in the gas OR my key fob is not connecting with the sensor and is shutting off the engine.

Anybody else having this problem?

When I turn my key to start, there is no clicking as it passes acc., on, and then to start. My mechanics truck makes a click every time you pass acc., or on. Is this normal or does your ket not click either.?

Any advise, before I trade it in!!!

oldmansvan 05-16-2012 09:58 AM

you are comparing apple and orange. Your mechanics truck is NOT a 2010 T&C so forget about that.
You suddenly lost power probably has nothing to do with how you turn the key. If that's my van, I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I don't think is the key fob becaue all it does is let you start the car. Once it started, you don't need it to keep the car running.
hope you still have the car under warranty. But as you say if the car is gorgeous and fine why "trade it in" just for this little thing? Even a new car will have problem anyway...

TNtech 05-16-2012 10:52 AM

Your mechanic's truck, eh? Did your "mechanic" use his truck as a reference and push you into an incorrect assumption?

Raptor 07 05-16-2012 04:56 PM

Could this recall apply? Might check with your local dealership: Chrysler Recalls Nearly 250,000 Vehicles for Engine Stalling - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

janer 05-16-2012 06:18 PM

Yes, I am going to the dealer on Fri. The key fob connects to the sensor in the ignition thereby telling the engine to start. If you take it out of the ignition the engine turns off.

I don't consider loosing power and steering to be a little thing. Good thing I was on country roads and could guide it over to the shoulder. If I had
been on the 401 in the passing lane and the engine stalled, I would be road kill by now.

No, I don't think the mechanic pushed his opinion on me. In a little village like ours, your reputation is everything and if you do not give good service to your customers, they will go elsewhere.

I am going to call Chrysler as well as visit the nearby dealer, as this recall may be applicable. Since I bought the van only 8 months ago, the previous owner may have ignored it.

Thanks for posting this link. Very good info.

TNtech 05-16-2012 08:38 PM

The recall is for the key fob kicking back to the off position. Post the last 8 of your VIN and I can tell you what's been done.

janer 05-17-2012 07:23 AM

Vin

last 8 nos AR126439

thanks, i appreciate your help.

TNtech 05-17-2012 12:09 PM

L25 recall was done sept 2011 @ 40,530 KM. That doesn't mean the WIN module is not at fault though. When you say losing power, you mean everything goes dark, or is it just the engine that dies?

janer 05-17-2012 05:59 PM

Hi: the engine dies and steering is very difficult. No lights come on the dash, no warning at all.

Speedometer drops, hard to steer. Each time, I pulled over, turned the engine off and restarted. It ran fine.

Each time this happened I was on an incline, twice while driving, once when stopped at a light.

Funny that the recall was done Sept.2011, as I bought it 28th Aug. 2011 and it first went to our mechanic, mid Oct. for its winter check up.
I never received any notice for THIS recall.

I did receive a notice re brake problems, extending the warranty to 2 yrs. or 40K.

I had them replaced at my mechanics in Oct.,when he noticed excesive wear, but was not eligible for the warranty as I had 40.888K on the clock.

Hope this helps with your diagnosis.

janer 05-17-2012 06:01 PM

p.s., when I bought it it had 40,300K on the odometer.

Can you tell me where this Sept. recall/work was done.?

I purchased the car in Lindsay Ont. Canada Aug.28/2011