Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Oil & Coolant Type (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/oil-coolant-type-1499/)

Trent 05-18-2006 05:19 PM

Oil & Coolant Type

Does anyone know what type of oil, and how much, the 97 Town & Country 3.8 V6 takes? I also am trying to find out what type of coolant and capacity as well. I just purchased this used and I'm trying to get it tuned up. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

webbee 05-18-2006 08:40 PM

RE: Oil & Coolant Type

Motor oil is 5W-30 either dino or synth. Capacity is 4.0 quarts.
The recommended coolant is the old style green (ethylene glycol) 50/50 mixture and the system capacity is 10.5 quarts.

These are from the Chiltons manual, 1996-2002.

Trent 05-21-2006 10:31 PM

Thanks man. Do you know if that's with changing the oil filter as well? I checked with the auto parts store today and they said 4.5 quarts with 10w-30. Are you sure thats with the 3.8 V6? When I change the oil I'm going to use dino with an aut-rx oil treatment. After that do these engines develop oil leaks with synthetic?

webbee 05-22-2006 01:01 AM

From Chilton's:
Capacities*
Engine oil (including filter)
3.3/3.8L engine
1996 through 1998 4.0 quarts
1999 and later 4.5 quarts
*All capacities approximate. Add as necessary to bring up to appropriate level.

5W30 gives the greatest temperature range of the choices between 5W30 or 10W30. Being thinner, it creates less friction which translates to a slight gas use savings. You can use either but the current factory recommendation is synth 5W30. If you are in cold country I would use 5W30 or 0W30. In the south/west I would use 10W30 or even 10W40 synth.

I use Dino so I don't have any experience with synth and this engine. I can't say if it will leak. I've never used Auto-RX. I always use a replacement quart of Marvel Mystery Oil which I have found to keep any engine I have used it on...extremely clean. If your using synth there is no need for MMO. YMMV

Trent 05-22-2006 10:17 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like the parts store looked up the newer body style. Is it safe to use an oil not recomended by the factory? I've always tried to be very careful and use whats specified. I am interested in your Chilton manual, have you found it to be helpful?
Thanks for all your help

webbee 05-23-2006 03:30 AM

I have a bit of a dino oil stash I am working through. I am working on a synth stash as I think it's better oil and will change over as soon as the dino is used up. I think you have to use oil that matches your area, how you drive, and engine miles. So I don't always follow the factory on motor oil. I do follow the tranny oil recommendation as well as most other specs.
I find the Chilton's and the Haynes manuals helpful but incomplete. I am going to buy the factory service manual for my year. I tend to keep vehicles for long periods of time so for me it will be worth the money. It depends on your level of mechanical competence and general expertise, how helpful the manuals are. I find both Chilton's and Haynes have slightly different views on the same subject. I like reading the procedures because then I don't have to try and figure out the order when I take something apart. Sometimes I do it my way especially if I am doing other jobs, have other experience, or tools that makes me do it a bit differently than their recommendations. I'm a self taught mechanic so I depend on manuals to explain the nuances of the vehicle I am working on at the moment. I consider manuals tools... as essential as my sockets and drives.

Trent 05-23-2006 08:24 PM

Have you checked to see how much the factory seervice manual will be? If available I would rather purchase the CD version online. Purchased one off ebay before for another car, it was pretty inexpensive for the amount of information you get. Do you tend to buy your cars new or used, and how long on average do you keep them?

webbee 05-24-2006 03:19 AM

My year factory shop manual is around $100 US, last I checked. I will get a paper version because it works without another piece of equipment being involved. I never buy new because I modify and that voids the warranty. It seems to me you get about the best deal on a 3 year old lease return, figuring cost per mile especially if that is relative trouble free. I like to buy stuff that's just out of warranty and replace most of the problem items with custom or performance parts. Struts, brakes, alternator, water pump, belts, ignition, etc... My VW van I've owned over 25 years. It's about to be sold because the parts are getting too bad/expensive. I like keeping cars a long time because it's more economical. Really...I guess I never stopped taking my toys apart. ;)

Bernard Feltzer 06-03-2006 06:28 AM

The oil capacity is 4.5 qts with the stock oil filter.
After 1999, it is 5 qts with oil filter.
Your Chilton book is in error.

webbee 06-03-2006 04:04 PM

That may be, but then my Haynes 96-99 lists the 3.3/3.8 capacity as 4.0 quarts including filter. I guess I would put 4 quarts in, run it a bit, and add the extra 1/2 qt if needed. I'm sure these are ball park figures and there could be variations or misprints.