Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Oil light intermitent on cold days (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/oil-light-intermitent-cold-days-13067/)

stutz2 12-04-2010 11:33 PM

Oil light intermitent on cold days

When I started my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country the other day, the oil light came on, stayed on and chimed to alert me it was on. I turned the car off and promptly check the oil level, which was fine. I restarted the car and everything is running fine and the light went out. I have noticed this would happen if the car has been sitting outside in cold weather for 6-8 hours, but it does not always happen. When it does, if I turn the car off and back on, does not come back on.

I have noticed two things. On days when everything is going to work fine upon start (or the car is warm) up, the oil light flashes briefly like it normally would on the diagnostics, and then go out.

Anytime the oil light is going to give me problems, the oil light comes on and stays on during the system diagnostics, and then alerts me it still is on. When that happens, all I have to do is turn off the car and back on.

My question is do I have an electrical issue or an issue with the oil pump and related components?

My car has only 80,000 miles on it.

dcm1971 12-05-2010 05:56 AM

Could just be the oil thickening up due to the cold?

CHRYSLER TECH 12-05-2010 06:42 AM

check the oil pressure switch see if its leaking

stutz2 12-06-2010 11:41 AM

When this first started happening, it was below freezing (30F).

There are no visible leaks that I can see. How would I go about checking the oil pressure switch?

CHRYSLER TECH 12-06-2010 12:58 PM

look at it with a flash light see if its leaking oil

MYakawich 12-19-2010 11:23 PM

Same Problem

I have a 05 TC and I have noticed it doing the same thing to me. The oil light will come on usually the first time I start it up in the morning, and as soon as you shut it down and restart it, the light will be off. The only time it comes on is if the car has been sitting for 8+ hours or so. The oil level is fine and I have no leaks.

Vol 04 T&C 12-20-2010 04:41 PM

I have a '04 T&C, runs great, occasionally, when I come to a stop or slow to low rpm, the oil light comes on. If I rev the engine, maintain rpm above 1200-15--, the light goes off & stays off, till the rpms drop below 1000 or so.
While driving the light goes out.
Maybe the oil pressure sensor?

actd 12-24-2010 05:53 AM

Mine also seems to be a bit slow to go out when it's very cold - have to blip the throttle once to get it to go out, whereas when it's warmer weather, it goes out as soon as it starts. Possible warmer weather next week, so I'll see if it stops doing it then.

stutz2 07-11-2011 11:53 AM

The issue finally went away. The only thing I can think of that I had done was replace the battery, which was very weak at the time. So maybe it was in issue with the battery not producing the correct voltage or something like that since it happens more on cold does. None the less, problem has gone away with out any major issues.

sklco 01-27-2012 10:57 PM

Mine is behaving exactly the same way...

Did you ever find a real fix, or did the problem just go away forever?