Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Overhead console/trip computer problems. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/overhead-console-trip-computer-problems-16249/)

gr8scott72 11-23-2011 08:57 PM

Overhead console/trip computer problems.

Just bought a 2004 Limited and have a few problems with it. The biggest one is the overhead trip computer does not work. No display, the door buttons don't do anything, and the interior lights up there don't work. The doors do work with the remote but don't work with the pillar buttons either. All other interior lights come on with doors but not the front two.

I've done a little searching on here but haven't found anything that might help me.

I did remove the overhead console just to at least verify that it was plugged in. It was already dark and that is all that I did do.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Btw, it's a 04 with 91k, white with the dark interior in pretty good shape except for a few little things that don't work and I got it for $6,500. I think I did pretty good.

Other small things that don't work:
-passenger side window doesn't work with either switch.
-passenger side door lock switch doesn't lock the doors but the driver's side switch does.
-driver's side up/down power seat motor runs but doesn't move the seat up or down.
-aftermarket radio has been installed so the steering wheel controls don't work.
-turn signals don't turn off after completing a turn.
-passenger rear sliding power door only works sometimes. (Can hear motor running but door doesn't open.)

gr8scott72 12-08-2011 11:11 PM

Nobody has any advise?

Read that it might be a BCM problem? Where is the BCM located? Can I get one out of a different van? Will it have to be programmed for my vehicle?

CHRYSLER TECH 12-09-2011 07:25 AM

check for power and ground to each of the items that don't work first

gr8scott72 01-05-2012 11:50 PM

After a little looking, I found that the trip computer wasn't even plugged in. I guess the dealership that sold it to the guy I bought it from had unplugged it so you couldn't see the tire low warning that comes on OVER and OVER.

Plugged it in and everything started working. Well, almost. The doors try to open but often don't although they will most always close by power. The rear gate works.

I've been freshening it up some too. Changed the oil, added some Auto-RX, new air filter, bled the brakes, flushed the power steering fluid, replaced the thermostat, replaced the radiator cap, and flushed the coolant.

I've also ordered some new headlights (came in tonight), have a new belt tensioner, ordered a Gatorback belt, bought a tranny filter kit, and ordered a full set of Husky floor liners.

It still has a small water leak somewhere. I took it to my tire shop/mechanic place that I've done business with for many years. They put it on the rack and found that it's leaking at the water pump. I bought a pump and am just waiting for the belt to come in so I can do them both at the same time.

Two other things that are kind of bothersome:
1.The front end clunks pretty bad over bumps. (Sway bar bushing and end links?)
2.The driver's door lock doesn't always lock all the way and you have to smack it down a little to get it to lock.

gr8scott72 01-06-2012 11:51 PM

Replaced the headlights today. MUCH better light output!

Replaced the water pump (was leaking), belt (was vibrating at idle making a loud roaring sound), and tensioner.

Replaced the front sway bar end links and bushings and got rid of the clunking sound in the front end when going over bumps.

Now she rides nice and quiet.

The sway bar stuff actually took longer than the belt, tensioner, and water pump did.

The Chrysler dealership quoted me 4 hours labor to do the water pump. I did it in my gravel driveway in about 2 and that was my first time doing it. Could probably do it much quicker if I ever have to do it again.

Raptor 07 01-07-2012 12:35 PM

Good work! Imagine if you had all this done at a dealership or shop. You'd be bumping a grand. Nice to have that fat wallet when you're done isn't it.

Fogged headlights are a common issue on these vans. Where did you get your new set? How Much? Easy swap? Did you consider cleaning the originals with a kit?

Door lock? Need to pull the trim panel and have a look see. Probably a weak actuator. I'm thinking they are part of the latch mechanism on an 04. If you are the adventurous type, and it sounds like you are, you might try to find a way to disassemble the mechanism and actuator and fix it.

The overhead console? They can load up the data bus and cause all kinds of electrical mayhem. Might be why it was disconnected. Keep an eye out for instrument, HVAC, stalling, shifting problems.

I'm thinking the BCM is mounted on the firewall forward of the brake pedal on an 04. Can't say anything definitive on the compatibility/reprogramming. There's disagreement between techs whether they are or not. If they are, you would have to get matching part numbers and security systems to avoid loosing accessories and in some cases damaging the PCM. At the very least you would need to reprogram the mileage so the correct figure is displayed on the odo.

gr8scott72 01-08-2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07 (Post 57420)
Good work! Imagine if you had all this done at a dealership or shop. You'd be bumping a grand. Nice to have that fat wallet when you're done isn't it.

The one that really gets me is I just went to the dealership and got a quote on the water pump. They said 3.5-4.5 hours and about $400. I bought the pump for about $50 and put it on by myself in my gravel carport with just a jack and jack stands in about 2 hours.

Fogged headlights are a common issue on these vans. Where did you get your new set? How Much? Easy swap? Did you consider cleaning the originals with a kit?

Got them on Amazon for about $80 shipped to my door.
They weren't so much foggy as they were full of moisture.
Here's where I posted about the headlights:
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...dlights-16532/

Door lock? Need to pull the trim panel and have a look see. Probably a weak actuator. I'm thinking they are part of the latch mechanism on an 04. If you are the adventurous type, and it sounds like you are, you might try to find a way to disassemble the mechanism and actuator and fix it.

The driver's door doesn't look sometimes. If I pull the interior door handle out just a bit, I can then push the plunger down and lock the door. You're right, I need to just pull the door panel and take a look. Both doors are doing a similar thing with the locks.

The overhead console? They can load up the data bus and cause all kinds of electrical mayhem. Might be why it was disconnected. Keep an eye out for instrument, HVAC, stalling, shifting problems.

There are no other problems except that the tire pressure gauge is messed up. I think that's why it was unplugged. It is a real pain to see it constantly switch back to the error message every 30 seconds no matter what you press.

I'm thinking the BCM is mounted on the firewall forward of the brake pedal on an 04. Can't say anything definitive on the compatibility/reprogramming. There's disagreement between techs whether they are or not. If they are, you would have to get matching part numbers and security systems to avoid loosing accessories and in some cases damaging the PCM. At the very least you would need to reprogram the mileage so the correct figure is displayed on the odo.

Doesn't look like I'll need to replace it.

aksase 01-15-2012 02:17 PM

Sliding doors

The sliding doors not opening is a common problem, it seems. I have the same problem on my imited and have done som reserach. :-)

It is very often caused by broken wires in the cable harness located in the plastic chain just under the threshold of the open door.

I have not yet had the opportunity to try to fix this myself, but there are instrucion videos for this on Youtube.

kdm3170 01-16-2012 12:19 AM

you can try to retrain the tire sensors, it will either work n fix the issue or tell u if u have a broken sensor. fill them to w/e spec is n then flip thru the options on the overhead menu till u get to retrain select it n confirm it. u need a rather strong magnet to get get the sensors to reset, i did it with a thick round magnet wit a hole in the center i had laying around. chrysler charges 50 bucks for their "special" magnet. start wit left front n wait for the horn to honk then RF RR LR, horn will honk after each 1. it'll either fix ur problem or if the horn wont honk on 1 of the sensors u kno the sensors broken