Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

CAN ODB II Reader/Scanner VS DRB III Tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Default CAN ODB II Reader/Scanner VS DRB III Tool

What exactly is the difference between a CAN ODB II Reader/Scanner and what I see mentioned in the Service manual called a DRB III Tool?
Also I found online a place that sells software and a cable where you can use your Laptop to view, log etc. the data from fault codes to real time data while your vehicle is running has anyone used this software?
it is called OBDCOM and is located at OBDCOM Dot com for those who have not heard of this.
I was thinking about possibly getting this if it is something that would work like one of the ODB II Units where I can get The Codes that cause the MIL light to come on.
Thanks for all the help so far I appreciate it.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM

If you want the function that a DRB has you'll spend a few thousand for a generic scan tool to get it. You may get engine access with what you posted, but as for the rest of the modules? Probably not.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM

oh, ok That must be the tool a Shop has in town here where he said if I wanted to pay $675 for a cat and install he would hook it to a machine that would show live info on O2 sensors, etc so he could guarantee it was the cat and show if the O2 sensors were just reading a bit low or so on. he had stated it was approx $3K I believe or $6K all I know was alot of $$.
Well in that case actually all I really am looking for is something I can get the Live data from the O2 sensors , basically all teh sensors and be able to read my own MIL codes instead of having to go to Autozone each time.
Plus the one with teh laptop is kinda cool as it can be logging data as you drive to see how everything is operating during normal driving conditions.
Not to mention it is approx. $50 less then the CAN OBD II Reader/Scanner.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by SpudlerT+CTouring
oh, ok That must be the tool a Shop has in town here where he said if I wanted to pay $675 for a cat and install he would hook it to a machine that would show live info on O2 sensors, etc so he could guarantee it was the cat and show if the O2 sensors were just reading a bit low or so on. he had stated it was approx $3K I believe or $6K all I know was alot of $$.
Well in that case actually all I really am looking for is something I can get the Live data from the O2 sensors , basically all teh sensors and be able to read my own MIL codes instead of having to go to Autozone each time.
Plus the one with teh laptop is kinda cool as it can be logging data as you drive to see how everything is operating during normal driving conditions.
Not to mention it is approx. $50 less then the CAN OBD II Reader/Scanner.
You shouldn't have to get an expensive tool to see O2 data. I've seen the ones you're talking about. 675 for a cat...do you have a Meineke in your area?

Last edited by TNtech; 10-19-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Ya I actually heard this guy was supposed to be cheaper, Whats nutz is the labor was only $90 the Walker Cat was $585. I have seen them online for anywhere from $170-$300, but the guy at the shop said no matter who I have do my install he said to stay away from the cheap online ones as he has had customers get them and find out they are subquality and may last only a few months if they even work at all.
What do you suppose a decent amount for a cat and Install should be?
You know it is really irritating me now this whole issue knowing 2K miles ago I would of been covered by the 8-80 warranty. Hell its only been 6 years but for 2K I would of at least thought Chrysler could of worked out some deal where I could of had some prorate or disount. And the timing is Amazing, I think the actual MIL came on at 81,250. Not to mention my plates expired on 9-27 but can't get DEQ until MIL goes away. Time to go to radio shack and build some sort of powered variable resistor unit to give computer correct feedback to get a PASS until I get this all fixed.
I doubt the van has close to the power and I bet 1/2 the mileage it will when all fixed so its a no brainer that it has to be working proper.

Now older cars ran much better with out any of the Clean air stuff, Good Headers and a perfect tuned Thermoquad 850.
Take my old Duster (383 with Carter AVS) or my (don't Laugh) Plymouth Volare with (318 850 TQ I believe 272 Dur Purpleshaft plus other stuff)