Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   PCM vs. Powertrain Control Module vs. ECM/PCM/ECU? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/pcm-vs-powertrain-control-module-vs-ecm-pcm-ecu-21452/)

ruger1944 02-19-2014 11:49 AM

PCM vs. Powertrain Control Module vs. ECM/PCM/ECU?

Vehicle is a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country LXI 3.8 2wd and they’re saying I need a new PCM but they’re calling it the Powertrain Control Module and the part number is R5127676AA.
Anyway, they want $1,175 installed which is CRAZY since it’s a plug & play item. However, I’m confused because is this different than a PCM or are they the same thing? When I look for a PCM for it, they all say ECM/PCM/ECU
Which is correct and where is the best place to get them? I usually use ebay, etc...but don't want to buy the wrong part

Raptor 07 02-19-2014 01:55 PM

Chrysler's term for the microprocessor module that controls the engine is the Powertrain Control Module or PCM. ECM/ECU are industry wide generic terms for the same unit meaning Engine Control Module or Unit. Just to keep us on our toes, ECU and ECM can also mean Electronic Control Module or Unit. That can be any electronic module on the van.

Ebay is a good source. Even AutoZone or the like sells them. There are others on the net that specialize in remanufactured modules, many with a lifetime guarantee. Some even sell on EBay. One popular site is Auto Computer Exchange | Remanufactured OEM Auto Computers | PCM ECM ECU TCM TCU

They have some real cahunas charging $1175. That's about the highest I've seen. Save $975 and get one off the net. An internet site will ask for your VIN number to make sure it's programed correctly before they send it to you. #1 concern is the alarm system programming. It has to match up with your BCM or you'll have a new headache.

ruger1944 02-19-2014 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07 (Post 77248)
Chrysler's term for the microprocessor module that controls the engine is the Powertrain Control Module or PCM. ECM/ECU are industry wide generic terms for the same unit meaning Engine Control Module or Unit. Just to keep us on our toes, ECU and ECM can also mean Electronic Control Module or Unit. That can be any electronic module on the van.

Ebay is a good source. Even AutoZone or the like sells them. There are others on the net that specialize in remanufactured modules, many with a lifetime guarantee. Some even sell on EBay. One popular site is Auto Computer Exchange | Remanufactured OEM Auto Computers | PCM ECM ECU TCM TCU

They have some real cahunas charging $1175. That's about the highest I've seen. Save $975 and get one off the net. An internet site will ask for your VIN number to make sure it's programed correctly before they send it to you. #1 concern is the alarm system programming. It has to match up with your BCM or you'll have a new headache.

Well, this is actually my dad's van and I just told him to get it away from them. He actually replaced the ECM a couple years back. I'm trying to track down the paper trail because it may have a lifetime warranty.

I apologize for sounding stupid but are you saying an ECM is the same thing as the PCM? For example, here is a link Dodge Caravan Chrysler Town Country Engine Computer PCM ECU ECM "Plug Play" | eBay

Is this the same part he'd need?

ruger1944 02-19-2014 06:54 PM

What is the BCM and the alarm issue you mentioned? I know the one he bought in the past he had to give them the vin number so it was ready to roll. just plug & play

CHRYSLER TECH 02-19-2014 10:09 PM

ECM PCM is the same thing different car makers use different acronyms for the same thing.

ruger1944 02-19-2014 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 77264)
ECM PCM is the same thing different car makers use different acronyms for the same thing.

Thanks!

My dad just doesn't have much money and it's a nice van. Raptor pointed out above a reputable source and it looks like they listed also sell on Ebay but also have a lifetime warranty vs. what they have on their site. So, 2001 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Engine Computer ECM PCM ECU | eBay should work for replacing part number R5127676AA, correct?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Mcms 03-23-2015 09:25 PM

Silly question, but I am getting the Code P1698 for the ECM replacement. Where is the ECM located on the Chrysler Town and Country?

CHRYSLER TECH 03-23-2015 10:46 PM

depends on what year you have

goggs 03-24-2015 03:59 PM

So I'm reading on here this American company on E-Bay can give you a replacement PCM/ECM and giving your Vin number your key is hence mated to the alarm system. Plug & play great, but not available in United Kingdom. Pity that.
But surely there must be in this country a company. Never looked into this issue should it happen.

QinteQ 03-24-2015 05:40 PM

I've always thought it just depends on the year manufactured. An ECM [limited engine control functions only] is an old school name for a PCM and took care of engine control functions and limited gearbox functions on auto's, and no functions at all on a manual car because they just were not needed. A PCM controls everything - engine, charging system, transmission, emissions, relearn, communications - the whole 9 yards - hence the name of 'powertrain'.

I'm happy to have ""what I've always thought"" corrected, I know my 05 has an ECM / TCM / IPM system of COMMS and control.