Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Possible Way To Prevent Some Electrical Problems (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/possible-way-prevent-some-electrical-problems-29645/)

bill440cars 07-13-2018 10:13 AM

Possible Way To Prevent Some Electrical Problems

I was reminded of a procedure, by a friend, on another forum, that a possible prevention of some electrical issues, might be prevented by disconnecting (at least) some of the electrical connections, on our vehicles, cleaning those connections & applying a little light grease (I think they actually have a type of grease for this, but I can't remember what it is) to help KEEP a good connection. Sure might be something to work on, in this day and age of all of the electronics in the newer vehicles now days. Just thought I'd throw this out there, sure can't hurt and might save a lot of aggravation. ;)

Leedsman 07-13-2018 12:32 PM

And a good place to start are the micro-processor boards right next to the battery. Fumes from the battery cause a white excrescence to grow in the plugs and sockets. See my contribution from the past for how-to...
Leedsman.
Forgot to mention --the sulphation excrescence can only be seen by removing those microprcessor boards. This is easy, but disconnect the battery first.

bill440cars 07-13-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman (Post 106668)
And a good place to start are the micro-processor boards right next to the battery. Fumes from the battery cause a white excrescence to grow in the plugs and sockets. See my contribution from the past for how-to...
Leedsman.

Thank you, for that. Leedsman, this is the first I have seen of reference to your input, on this subject. I am guessing that you hadn't been on, during that time. Anyway, I cleaned the ground connections under the hood & that didn't help, I broke down & bought a headlight switch (seemed like quite a few people had issues with that switch finally seemed to have my issue corrected, but a few days later, the issue returned, except, instead of not having Low Beams & the High Beams flashing 3 or 4 times & going off completely, this time, I had no Low Beams, but Did still have High Beams. I was about 45 minutes away from home & had to drive home with only High Beams (But I was glad to have that much, since it was at night). So, when I got home, something told me to try the light switch I had bought & it worked & is still working. But, I am going to go through the system, especially under the hood & do the Clean up & Lube of each connection, as I stated. So, I do appreciate anything that would help. I like the newer slightly larger version of these minivans, but I have had issues like I never had before & more of them. And I have had 1993, 1994, 2006 & then this 2008 model. Only the 1993 & 2006 models were bought new & I put at least 139,000 miles on them. This 2008 has over 150,000, but I don't remember exactly how much. .

Leedsman 07-19-2018 01:34 PM

You would think, wouldn't you, that a headlight switch would switch the headlight on and off. Wrong! These days on most makes the headlight switch instructs a microprocessor to actually switch on the headlights. As for tail and turn light clusters in back of the vehicle, one may find a circuit board doing a certain job under instruction from a remote microprocessor. Only ONE control wire then issues appropriate bytes to make tail, stop, or wink light. So there are only TWO wires going to stop/tail/wink lights, the ground connexion being close by. There is a reason for this strategy -- less wiring is needed, and since the Chinese can make small circuit boards at fourpence each, it's a cost effective way of controlling the lights. Even the alternator charging rate is under micro control, and Chrysler was the 1st. to do this using switch-mode control (i.e. lossless power control).
Leedsman.

bill440cars 07-28-2018 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman (Post 106745)
You would think, wouldn't you, that a headlight switch would switch the headlight on and off. Wrong! These days on most makes the headlight switch instructs a microprocessor to actually switch on the headlights. As for tail and turn light clusters in back of the vehicle, one may find a circuit board doing a certain job under instruction from a remote microprocessor. Only ONE control wire then issues appropriate bytes to make tail, stop, or wink light. So there are only TWO wires going to stop/tail/wink lights, the ground connexion being close by. There is a reason for this strategy -- less wiring is needed, and since the Chinese can make small circuit boards at fourpence each, it's a cost effective way of controlling the lights. Even the alternator charging rate is under micro control, and Chrysler was the 1st. to do this using switch-mode control (i.e. lossless power control).
Leedsman.

Wow, pretty complicated, compared to my 1969 Plymouth GTX. I may be old fashioned, but I think I would rather have the wiring, over the new setup. Not really sure, but I think I would anyway. I never have had the issues before, like with the 2008 model. Any idea, when this technology was implemented? I bought a new 2006 Grand Caravan & put 136,000 miles on it, before having any real issues. Just wondered. Thank you, for the input.