Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Power liftgate issue. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/power-liftgate-issue-30906/)

Mopar4ever 07-08-2019 07:19 AM

Power liftgate issue.

Hello all! I'm new here and trying to figure out what is going on with the liftgate on my 2007 Grand Caravan SXT. This problem has been going on for awhile, but just learned how to live with it. When you open the gate, it opens all the way, but when it reaches the full open position, it reverses and closes. It does not free-fall, the motor simply reverses and closes the gate.
Now...when it starts to close, I can hit the button a second time and it goes back up and stays, however, once fully open again, there is a loud pop noise coming from the motor/gear mechanism and must be manually closed, it will not close with the button even if opened manually.
I have had this van for about 6 years and I seem to remember there used to be a warning beep when the gate was activated, but hasn't made that sound for ages. I honestly don't remember if the beep stopped at the same time this problem started, though I want to say the beep stopped before this happened.
As I said, we just learned to live with it by waiting until it opened and hit the button a second time to get it open, then close it manually.
I've had it apart in the past and couldn't find and obvious problems, ie missing teeth, cracked sector plate, etc... nothing.
It'd be nice to finally fix it.

Dad_Marco 07-27-2019 12:21 PM

Hi,

It looks like the limit switch that does not work.
Do you have what to check?
I use software that allows me to test my electric doors.
I can check the beep and each element of the door or tailgate.

If you open the tailgate by hand, can you close it electrically?

Mopar4ever 07-29-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dad_Marco (Post 111201)
Hi,

It looks like the limit switch that does not work.
Do you have what to check?
I use software that allows me to test my electric doors.
I can check the beep and each element of the door or tailgate.

If you open the tailgate by hand, can you close it electrically?

No, it won't close unless I manually close it.
I do have my brother's fancy Autel tablet, but no idea what all it can do. I know I can program keys and run detailed diagnostics.

Dad_Marco 07-29-2019 03:34 PM

Hi,

OK, I do not know the Tablet Autel.
Can you connect with the door module?
If not, I use the application CDRBe3 that arrives connected to it.
Coming soon this application for Android smartphone will have an update to read the sensor status of the door modules. The application is very recent.
Is your Dodge Caravan using the DRBIII suitcase for diagnostics? If so, test the free Androïd version here.
An ELM327 or an ODBlink MX (preferred) is required.

With the Tablet Autel, tried to connect you to the power tailgate module and access the sensor info. If you can not, wait for the CDRBe3 update or go to the car dealership.

As the tailgate opens I think the locks works.

However with CRDe3 you can already test the actuators of each element of the tailgate. More info here

Dad_Marco 07-29-2019 06:15 PM

I forgot, you can read the tailgate DTC. It already works on the CDRBe3. It was oriented on the failure of the tailgate.