Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2005 T&C Auto Tranny Cooler Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Default 2005 T&C Auto Tranny Cooler Leak

I have found the Strangest Leak all of a sudden, On My 2005 T&C Touring with a 3.8 Litre at auto tranny it has a combined Auto Tranny cooler and A/C Condensor, The top 4 Lines in the combined unit seem to be for the Auto Tranny Fluid while the bottom section appears to be A/C.
I started to notice some Spots under the Van and I know it had No Leaks so I tracked it to the Combined unit and after cleaning found the leak to be where the Botom most Tube connects on the Passenger side. ( I assume it is designed like the older radiators where the Tubes are soldered into the Header or cap?) Is there anyway to repair this unit without having to discharge the A/C? Has anyone else ever had this type of Issue or seen it before?
I know there is no way to do any Soldering etc. with ATF in the system as the fluid would contaminate any Solder attemp but if i was able to flush the ATF Side out with Solvent or some type of cleaner and then blow out any remaining Solvent etc could I possibly be able to repair this? Also how dangerous would it be to attempt to Solder the ATF fluid side since it is so close to the A/C Section?
I cannot for the life of me figure out how this happened I see no damage no signs of anything loose or vibrating to cause any weakness.
If I have no way to repair this Issue without replacing the Heat Exchanger Unit if i have the A/C System properly discharged and I am able to cap off THe A/C Section and get it reconnected promptly what would be required to recharge the A/C System? Would I need to have the system Vacuumed out and Possibly need to replace the A/C Filter/Dryer Unit ( I am not sure the proper name of the part but I believe it has something to do with Moisture in the system)
This is looking like it could be a very expensive repair for such a Minor leak but I know it will only get worse ( so far It has only lost enough fluid to leave a couple spots on the ground and enable me to find it but not enough to need to add any fluid yet)
I Do have a A/C Manifold/Gauge Set and I could get a Vac. Pump as I was planning on repairing and recharging a different vehicles A/C but This one has so much computer controlled Items It may be beyond what tools I have available to me if It needs to have the computer reset or anything with a DRBII Unit or such.
I just hate the Idea of Loosing the A/C due to lack of $$ available to take in into a shop right at the start of summer especially when we just had our first week of almost 90 degree weather I really like the 3 Zone A/C and just ran the cooldown test which passed in a about 1 min so I know currently the A/C is Awesome.
Being a Brilliant Black Pearlcoat Van it will be one hot Miserable ride in the blazing heat of Summer with no A/C.

Any Suggestions or Options would be greatly appreciated with Safety for me and others being my top priority.