Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

O2 Sensor Problems P0132 and P0032 2004 T&C

Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Default O2 Sensor Problems P0132 and P0032 2004 T&C

The catalytic converter failed on the 2004 Town and Country 3.8 with 170K miles. The rear O2 sensor set the code indicating the converter is bad. In order to pass emission in Wisconsin I had a shop replace it with a Walker converter with a 3 yr warranty. They up sold me from the standard one year warranty one. I also replaced both O2 sensors at the same time with Bosch sensors from Autozone. Took the van to the test center and it passed emissions. One week later the front sensor set the P0132 code for high voltage. The shop told me to try replaceing it. AZ gave me one under warrantly and I replaced it. One week later it set the P0032 code for heater high resistance. I measured it and it was over 150 ohms. I new one should be 2 or 3 ohms. Again AZ replaced it under warranty. 3 days later the the front sensor set the P0132 code again. Two weeks before the converter and sensors were replaced I put in a new PCV valve, plugs and wires. A side note: This engine uses oil. Appearently it leaks by the valve guides. Chrysler replaced the from head under warranty at 70K but did not want to do the back head. So I live with a quart or so every 1000.

Before the converter was replaced there were no codes set by the front sensor. I dont know what to make of the situation. The shop wants me to bring it in and start spending money for them to hook it up to the computer and start running tests. The shop says the new Walker higher flow converter cant be the reason. It is hard to believe that I have 3 bad ones in a row. The shop forgot to give me the old parts back so I cant put the previous set back in (they were form napa about 3 years ago when I had the same shop replace the converter with a standard one form napa).

So any suggestions what I can check or may be the issue? I have a OBDII adapter to plug into my laptop to read codes and engine data if I had a tip what to investagate.

Could there be another sensor on the manifold going bad or a broken hose caused when the shop was working on it? Don't want to say they may have made a reason form me to bring it back, but I guess I just did.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

u cant use bosh 02 sensors they will not work for a Chrysler get dealer ones and u will be right as rain.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Well I bought the O2 sensor fom the dealer yesterday (Almost 3X the price of the Autozone Bosch sensor) and installed it. It looked more expensive, had a wire cable strain releif. Of cource the error cleared, just like with the Bosch ones. Now let's see if it stays gone for more than a week. Just mad that the shop did not return the old parts when the Cat was replaced, they probably were still ok.

I will follow up with a post if the error return in the near future, or in a month or so if it does not.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Knock on wood, so far two weeks with a dealer O2 sensor and no codes.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by drogahn
Just mad that the shop did not return the old parts when the Cat was replaced, they probably were still ok.

Typically I wouldn't advise using old sensors and a new converter. The sensors with that many miles on them will be slow to respond. Those cheapo Bosch sensors are junk. You did the right thing. I've had really good luck with Pep Boys and NAPA afternarket parts...just sayin. You wont catch me walking into Auto zone or Advance unless it for a bulb or a smelly tree to hang from my mirror.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-20-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Bosch is quite a low quality one its just good that you changed it and now you must not face any problem. Yes it will definitely last long as well.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by wnpl405
Bosch is quite a low quality one its just good that you changed it and now you must not face any problem. Yes it will definitely last long as well.
I've run into instances here where people would take their car to an independent garage for a CEL, then come here thinking they didn't diagnose the problem right when all along it was the Bosch O2 with an open heater circuit. Put the meter on it and "OL"... It was like it they made it without one...lol.