Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Voyager ABS and Brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Default Voyager ABS and Brake warning light

Hi, I'm after some advice please.
I have a diesel 2002 RG model G Voyager. The ABS light came on last year. I found someone with Launch X431 who could read codes and I replaced front LHS sensor and all ok. I bought from same chap MaxiDiag/Autel US703 too.
Recently ABS light came on as per last time. Used US703 to read ABS and it cites LHS abs sensor fault. Not sure which one but thinking maybe front again I buy one from USA via ebay. Whist waiting red brake warning ligh comes on. Now sometimes they stay on, sometimes not, sometimes both together, sometimes not. At first US703 can read abs but no other clue as to red light. Checked handbrake, pads for wear, fluid level - all ok. I read the net and decide to remove fuse box and check/clean connectors. It worked - lights went out, day later on again. So decide maybe its abs CAB - so bought scarp yard one - exactly same model but before I changed it I find US703 when reading ABS codes reports low voltage and then it cannot read at all anymore. So rang out supplies to abs CAB, also found 2 big (3mm) cables in wiring loom under battery tray almost rubbed through, so repaired them. Still no US703 coms, tried scrap ABS CAB, still no coms and lights still on (they go out when car started but them come on and stay on now). Tried another ABS CAB - still no joy. So my US703 cannot negotiate coms with ABS. Took it to main dealer, £75 please and we cannot communicate with ABS - you need a new one @ £580 but they cannot confirm this will solve the problem - only it may allow them to communicate with ABS CAB. So now I'm stuck and unsure what to do. Car works fine, no other problems, battery is fine, 4 big spade connectors (power) on abs CAB ring through to battery + and -. My US 703 also cites it can read PCM, TCM, ABS and SRS tried them all SRS works but rest do not - no coms. ODBII/EOBD part works, can read engine speed etc - US703 talks to something. Is the PCI bus common to ABS ECU and others. I'm wondering if its some common part/connector that is linked via pci bus to abd CAB and other cpu's. I'd hate to allow dealer to fit new ABS CAB and still no coms.

Any advice appreciated.

Kind Regards

Old 06-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Hi
First I would disconnect all 4 ABS speed sensors and then retry to communicate with the ABS module. I have had theses sensors take down the ABS module and stop communication.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Many Thanks - Great idea - I'll try tomorrow night and report back.

Cheers

Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Not forgot - will have to be Sunday - but busy at work at moment.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Hi dont know if this helps but i got mine done as a recall in uk, maybe worth a try.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM

In diagnosing a similar issue on our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, the ABS and Brake Warning lights were illuminated and the TRAC OFF lights remained lit. You could not turn off the Tracking. I found the 25 Amp fuse to the Anti-Lock Brake Controller (fuse in the fuse case in the engine compartment to be corroded. I cleaned up the contacts with very fine sand paper - small piece with a plastic floss stick, then lubricated the insertion point with battery connection lubricant (red). Once the new fuse was installed the lights went off and the ABS returned to normal operation.

Fuse 0.69 cents at NAPA. Knowing where to look - fuses are marked quite well in the fuse box. Not having to spend a lot of time, effort or money on a major repair and having the system back in operation - priceless.

Best wishes.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 PM

We have a 2004 Chrysler Town and Country and the ABS light just started coming on. Since our car is a year older, this fuse corrosion might be part of our problem too so I'll try replacing the fuse. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM

Actually we have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country. Unfortunately the new fuse didn't work, in fact after I put the fuse in not only was the ABS light on, but also the Brake light and the brakes shuddered a little when I stepped on the pedal. Therefore I went immediately to a dealer (I'm currently away from home), they found the CAB module and the right rear speed sensor were going bad. These were replaced and fixed the problem -- but not cheaply (over $1200.) At least now we can drive home safely.