Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Spare Tire Won't Come Down? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/spare-tire-wont-come-down-2160/)

rmichels 11-12-2006 01:35 PM

Spare Tire Won't Come Down?

I have a flat tire and want to put on the spare tire. I think I had the spare on once, maybe 3 years ago, but the tire will not come down. I turned the release nut counter clockwise, the cable is coming out, but the tire only dropped a few inches. The center piece that holds the tire is not dropping with the cable. Am I missing something, is there a hook or release. Any suggestions on how to get it unstuck?

Thanks

LostMyLicense 11-13-2006 03:42 AM

RE: Spare Tire Won't Come Down?

Get under it and kick the crap out of it and wiggle it a little. I've seen those things have the darnest things happen to them. Get stuck, cable mechanisms get tangled. Hope it works out for you.

tmp03tnc 11-13-2006 02:52 PM

I have had the same thing happen to my '02. There is a cam that when you crank the tire in the "down" direction is supposed to open a pin and allow that center piece on the end of the cable and in the middle of the wheel to slide through. What is happening is that mechanism is not working properly. You will have to get a long screw driver, stick it through the wheel holes and pry that pin open. It is tricky to do because its hard to see and work through the small openings in the wheel. Don't have too much slack in the cable so when you do pop the retainer the tire doesn't drop on you, but have enough slack so when the pin is opened far enough, the unit will drop down from it. Bring a shop light with you when you crawl under the van! Good Luck.

cmgpfd 12-20-2006 12:42 AM

My locking mechanism was rusted in place. I just removed it, the tire is now held up just by the crank, worked for 3 years now.

springerrr 07-11-2013 10:15 PM

The answer is in this great video!!

Shaquana Vincent 07-27-2015 03:25 PM

2015 town and country spare tire removel....almost..Accidental death

....THIS WAS A RENTAL CAR...... WE GOT A FLAT TIRE ON THE REAR DRIVER SIDE AND SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE WE PUT THE SMALL ASS JACK THAT CAME WITH THE VAN IN THE PROPER PLACE AND MY BOYFRIEND ATTEMPTED TO REMOVE THE SPARE AND THE VAN DID FALL ON TOP OF HIM....:mad::mad: ME AND MY SISTER WAS HOLDING THE DAM VAN UP TO KEEP IT FROM CRUSHING HIM TO DEATH .... SEVERAL BYSTANDERS CAM TO OUR RESCUE AND THEY STILL COULDN'T GET THE JACK TO GO DOWN TO PUT UNDER THE VAN TO RAISE IT BACK UP ..... I WAS SCRAMMING ......EVERYONE WAS YELLING FOR HELP......FINALLY HE WAS REMOVED FROM UNDER THE VAN AND AAA FINALLY CAME AND THEY EVEN TOOK 15 TO 20 MINS TO REMOVE THE SPARE THE DAM DEVICE WAS RUSTED AND STUCK ......THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO PUT A SPARE ..... ....I AM PISSED......I AM GOING TO FILE A LAW SUITE AGAINST Chrysler FOR THIS BS ....... IF ANYONE HAS ALREADY FILED A CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE PLEASE CONTACT ME AT shaquanav@hotmail.com:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

andyb2000 07-28-2015 04:38 AM

Just for anybody in future.
NEVER NEVER NEVER go under an unsecured car. ANYBODY should know, a jacked car (especially with the emergency jack of a car) is not a secure point to climb under.
(TBH even with axle stands I avoid it, I use a pit or full car lift)

Further more, you do NOT need to jack the car up to get the spare tyre out, or free it.

I think you should speak to your rental company, as if they haven't properly maintained the vehicle (a 2015 and it was rusted to bits/stuck?) then surely that's where you should begin.