Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   speedometer and tachometer stopped working (displaying) (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/speedometer-tachometer-stopped-working-displaying-1688/)

brad 07-03-2006 03:03 AM

speedometer and tachometer stopped working (displaying)

I have a 2003 T and C, limited. Speedometer and tachometer quit working. All other instrumentation works fine. Is there a fuse for just these two guages? It stopped working after a jump start.

brad 07-03-2006 03:24 AM

RE: speedometer and tachometer stopped working (displaying)

Found an older post from last year that contained the fix. Press and hold the odometer reset until a diagnostics begins to run. After the diagnostics completed, both gauges worked fine.

gordonblackler 11-21-2006 05:05 PM

I have a '01 2.5CRD SE Grand Voyager and yesterday my speedometer started misbehaving too. I tried pushing the Trip Counter button and held it for several seconds but no diagnostics ran as previously described. Maybe my vehicle doesn't have this feature.

The symptoms are:

• When the engine the engine is started, having been off for a while (not sure how long it needs to be) the speedo works fine.

• A few miles down the road the needle starts flickering. It drops rapidly right down to zero and then up. It might stay down for a few seconds and then zip right up again. This happens for a few minutes and then it drops for good until I've again had the engine off for a while - maybe half an hour or so.

• When the speedometer is not working the global odemeter does not count the miles. This is obviously a concern because it means the miles I'm driving are not registering on the vehicle.

My first thought is just a bad electrical connection somewhere but could it be anything else?

webbee 11-21-2006 06:25 PM

I would first remove the IOD fuse to reset the BCM, clean the terminals on the battery, and trickle charge it to full capacity over night. This may solve the problem. If it doesn't...

It could be the solder joints are cracked on the instrument PC board. I would say that was gordonblackler's problem. The negative terminal overheats, melts the solder joint, which cracks as it cools. it then makes contact intermittently or becomes intermittent when it heats up. Slapping the dash top sometimes fixes the problem temporarily.

Here's a thread about the problem, and here is the solder fix as posted by pentabob. Be sure to add a bit of fresh rosin core solder to help with the reflow.

It takes about 2 hours to do the fix, which may affect only the 3ed gen vans, but it's possible on 4th gens too, it seems. I would do this because it is a cheap simple fix and once done solves the problem, at least for awhile. If this doesn't do it then you may have a BCM, relay, wire/connector or other problem.

If you've never taken the dash cover off, I suggest getting either the Hayne's or Chilton's manual. It covers that aspect in detail.

gordonblackler 11-21-2006 06:40 PM

Many thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try.