Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Starting problems...sometimes (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/starting-problems-sometimes-30607/)

Matt from Oz 04-08-2019 03:58 AM

Starting problems...sometimes

My 2003 3.3 L Grand Voyager has starting problems. The starter motor always cranks, but under certain conditions it can take too long to fire up. When the engine is cold, no problems. Cranking after engine is shutdown, but within about 10 minutes...ok. But after leaving the engine off for between about 10 minutes to a couple of hours, it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to fire up. Why?

REBEL59 04-08-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Matt from Oz (Post 110111)
My 2003 3.3 L Grand Voyager has starting problems. The starter motor always cranks, but under certain conditions it can take too long to fire up. When the engine is cold, no problems. Cranking after engine is shutdown, but within about 10 minutes...ok. But after leaving the engine off for between about 10 minutes to a couple of hours, it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to fire up. Why?

It's 16 yrs old...any CEL lit on the dash? What maint has it had beyond oil changes? Good chance of a weakening fuel pump.

Matt from Oz 04-09-2019 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59 (Post 110114)
It's 16 yrs old...any CEL lit on the dash? What maint has it had beyond oil changes? Good chance of a weakening fuel pump.

Thanks for your reply. No CEL lit. Engine fully rebuilt about two years ago. Fuel filter replaced last week.
I changed the fuel pump assembly about three years ago due to my fuel gauge jumping up and down intermittently. I guess the pump might be a cause, but I thought this would cause starting issues all the time?

REBEL59 04-09-2019 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Matt from Oz (Post 110132)
Thanks for your reply. No CEL lit. Engine fully rebuilt about two years ago. Fuel filter replaced last week.
I changed the fuel pump assembly about three years ago due to my fuel gauge jumping up and down intermittently. I guess the pump might be a cause, but I thought this would cause starting issues all the time?

The GUESS was fuel pump IF it was the original unit. NO CEL? Then I guess it is time to pull out a test light or DVOM to test for power at the coil pack or even the fuel pump relay in the fuse panel WHEN the situation occurs.
When this happens, have you tried just turning the key to the run position, waiting a few seconds and listen for fuel pump whine(couple seconds) and then doing again before cranking to make sure it is NOT a fuel "bleed down" situation or even loss of electric current to engage the fuel pump?

Matt from Oz 04-09-2019 07:39 AM

Thanks. I’ll try what you have mentioned and keep you updated.