Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Temperature inrgular (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/temperature-inrgular-16435/)

Ziggar 12-21-2011 04:29 PM

Temperature inrgular

Hi again my car (2.8crd) takes a long time to warm up befor
The thermostat was replaced( stuck open) now it gets to the correct
Temperature but when I turn the heating up to high I see the gauge
Slowly going down,on normal run it is just under the 1/2 way but when
I turn the temperature to hi it creeps down to the line below 1/2
I have never had this with anyother car is it a bad thermostat that
Has been fitted or shomthing else.

Thanks for all your help mark

booke23 12-22-2011 02:34 PM

Thats pretty wierd. I assume you have checked that the coolant level is correct. Also, are you in a very cold region? I had something similar happen last winter when the temp was -10 celcius (although not as bad as you describe)

If not, it does sound like it could be a duff thermostat.....it's not unknown for new parts to be faulty. It sounds like it is not fully closing for some reason.

I'd take the thermostat off and try blowing through the inlet pipe to check its closed. It should not be possible to blow through it if its working properly (I did this when i replaced my thernostat to compare the new and duff thermostat....you could blow through the duff thermostat freely)

If a garage did the work, take it back and get them to deal with it as it's a bugger getting the thermostat off.

andyb2000 12-23-2011 08:39 AM

This is very similar behaviour to what I have with mine. When I first got the car within a week I had a broken radiator, lost all coolant. Garage replaced the radiator for me and ever since then I've had this same temperature fluctuation that you mention.

I also suspected the thermostat, my local (non Chrysler) car garage ran the car for an hour one morning and didn't think there was anything wrong, but they didn't really know what to check, etc, so don't trust their judgement on this.

I'd be interested to find out what your findings are. I'd also be tempted to have a go at checking myself but it seems difficult to get hold of workshop manuals for the UK 2.8CRD so I don't even have any basic engine bay layouts to determine how difficult this is to get at and check.

booke23 12-23-2011 03:04 PM

Funny you should mention that andyb, because when I bought my 2.8 crd there was a receipt for a radiator replacement just before I bought it.

The thermostat on mine had gone when I got it and I guessed that the radiator failing had caused the thermostat to fail. I think the thermostat is vulnerable to getting very hot (and failing) if the coolant is lost while driving, as it is at the back of the engine above the exhaust manifold with little airflow in the area.

So i'd say your thermostat is definately gone. The part is about £150 from a dealer, although some members on here report the availability of a pattern part for about half the price. Unfortunately this pattern part was not available when I did mine 2 years ago.

If you search the forum you'll find info on changing the thermostat. Basically it's behind the engine. You need to remove the wiper tray for (limited) access. The whole thermostat housing is replaced hence the price of the part. The only special tool you need is a remote spring release tool to remove the spring clamps that hold the rubber hoses on the thermostat. Its so tight in there that its not possible to grip them with pliers like you normally would.

In theory it's a straight forward job however the lack of access does make it a difficult, fiddly and slow process.

pestilance 12-25-2011 04:15 PM

go to ldv dealer(norscot) u can get the thermostat there for under £60 with new gasket,but u will need to modify it,i just took mines to the local blacksmith and got them to drill and tap the holes job done.

booke23 12-26-2011 02:39 PM

Or you could just buy this Behr part for £58: Thermostat Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD 2002-; 2.8CRD 2005- (4250192995127) | eBay

This is the actual part that Chrysler change £150 for. (the one I bought from Chrysler has Behr written on it)

pestilance 12-26-2011 05:08 PM

the ones from ldv are Behr to,,same unit just needs slight modding,this time of year that 1 from ebay coming from latvia might take its time

lurcher01 01-19-2013 06:15 AM

went to ldv yesterday and they asked me what model ldv it was from please can you help whit this thank lurcher01