Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 - EGR valve cleaning (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/voyager-2-5-crd-2003-egr-valve-cleaning-18785/)

johndavis100 12-19-2012 03:07 AM

Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 - EGR valve cleaning

Hi All
I am thinking of cleaning the egr valve on my wife's voyager over Christmas (already planning what to do with this time off). She does a lot of around town driving,so I guess it may need doing.
Could somebody tell me where I would find it,if it is easily accessible and if anybody has a picture,that would be a big help?
Many thanks

Merry Christmas
John

goggs 12-30-2012 11:02 AM

EGR Clean

Hi John,
Not got answer here for you but quite interested in your thread as a bunged up EGR valve can cause problems and possible shutdowns when you don't want it. May do mine SAP if I find where it is as I'm not complacent with these engines.
I got a Chrysler Service Manual disc off E-Bay that was cheep and it even gives all the fault codes. Using it for suspension work just now.
Goggs....

tfb 12-31-2012 01:11 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-t...o/s912/egr.jpg

Haven't done it myself, but here's the details

Regards

Richard

goggs 01-01-2013 09:49 AM

EGR Clean....

Hi Richard,
First class reply....

Goggs...

johndavis100 01-02-2013 01:51 PM

Thank you very much for the response
I am going to have a crack at it tomorrow
Thanks and Happy New Year
John

vrc8883 01-04-2013 04:51 PM

Hmmm: That all seems very different from my 2007 2.8CRD. If you do not have a problem I would simply use a tin of Wynns Diesel EGR3 cleaner - you spray it into the air inlet after the air mass sensor with the engine running...

glen baker 01-14-2013 11:08 AM

can you blank of a e g are valve on a 52 plate voyages 2.5td and will have any engine light probe many thanks glen

tfb 01-14-2013 12:02 PM

you will probably get the MIL lit, but try it, see and report back to us.

In my opinion blocking the EGR does no harm to the engine, other than confuse the ECU slightly.
Rather than blocking you are better off having the EGR remapped in the ECU so that it is never open and the rest of the airflow maps modified to account for the reduction in air flow. However this will cost a lot more than fashioning a blanking plate out of biscuit tin lid

Regards

Richard

goggs 01-15-2013 01:47 PM

EGR Clean out.

Hi, would be interested to know how JohnDavis got on, as its like the Thermostat renewal, its said to be a two and half hour job as you have to remove wiper motor and tray...
Was going to renew my Thermostat and got one from my Motorfactors. Yes First Line parts company has this engine using a normal thermostat under number 174.80. Showed him picture of right Chrysler unit and after checking out picture comparison he said it was made in Russia. Latvia to us, as we have been told on here.
Goggs.

glen baker 01-19-2013 04:46 PM

had to have the egr deleted from the ecu cost £150 all done no more big clouds of black smoke now just have to replace glow plugs or relay engine code time ?

darkcild101 10-03-2014 05:29 AM

[QUOTE=vrc8883;67226]Hmmm: That all seems very different from my 2007 2.8CRD. If you do not have a problem I would simply use a tin of Wynns Diesel EGR3 cleaner - you spray it into the air inlet after the air mass sensor with the engine running...[/QUOTE]

Bought EGR cleaner but i cant locate the egr and air mass sensor :(

tfb 10-03-2014 10:58 AM

The mass airflow sensor is connected by a short rubber coupling to the air filter box.

In my opinion, the down side of these EGR cleaners is that any junk dislodged ends up in the engine. I'd much rather dismantle and use a blowtorch on the manifolds and a wire brush on the valve.

Regards
Richard

kkc 10-05-2014 09:08 AM

I agree with you tfb. When installing my EGR, the EGR out pipe was 40% blocked at the bend. Only one way to clean this ...!

goggs 10-05-2014 03:20 PM

Hi, reading about EGR cleaning out through the threads. Is there any new joins whether metal or material required for sealing.

kkc 10-06-2014 02:39 AM

just use old seals --- they should be ok + appropriate silicon gasket sealant. on the egr valve i received the, the two holes for connecting the out pipe were not threaded like in the old egr valve, so i had to improvise and use a couple of bolts and nuts. it's a tight fitting so suggest you connect the valve to the outgoing pipe BEFORE installing in engine compartment and attaching to exhaust manifold.

John Norrish 08-15-2015 05:57 AM

Would not just removing the Vacuum pipe that activates the EGR and sealing it stop it from working?

goggs 08-16-2015 03:51 PM

See Youtube for vid of isolating EGR this way. One of the top whacks on here did this quite recently. Only thing about isolating it this way, is if it is partially blocked and jammed slightly open there will be no difference to your diagnosis. So only answer is to clean it out and check operation.

darkcild101 08-17-2015 05:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by glen baker (Post 67608)
had to have the egr deleted from the ecu cost £150 all done no more big clouds of black smoke now just have to replace glow plugs or relay engine code time ?

Where exactly are the glow plugs, can someone be kind enough to mark them on my engine please

kkc 08-24-2015 04:22 AM

location of glow plugs

1st from left is behind the alternator
2nd from left behind the power steering fluid bottle
3rd behind the exhaust intake just left of oil dipstick
4th behind and below the egr vacuum controller (that hing just to the right of the dipstick)

All are easy to access... just need to remove bits out of the way.

John Norrish 08-29-2015 12:43 PM

Just posted elsewhere I have stopped my EGR Valve working quite simply, cut the vac pipe from the servo, cut a piece of spill pipe or similar about 2 inches will do, push a ball bearing or similar half way up pipe rejoin cut vac pipe with spill pipe, the bearing stops the vac before it gets to the actuation valve on the front of the engine and to the casual eye nowt has been fiddled with, I have noticed a more flexible engine with a lot more get up and go, time will tell

AS said this will ot work if EGR Valve is partually stuck open.

One noticeable point, as the EGR water cooler no longer has hot exhaust running through it the engine runs cooler.

goggs 08-29-2015 03:11 PM

Other makes of car have code relating to rich trim coming up after isolating EGR valve. I can see the reason as engine now has more oxygen going through it and more charge air is being asked for.

John Norrish 08-30-2015 01:03 AM

I will keep an eye on Consumption and report back, so far I have covered about 700 miles and all seems ok with fuel lasting longer, and the engine getting stronger, but I didn't take proper fuel readings, so will do a better calculation on next fill to fill

goggs 08-30-2015 02:36 PM

Yes report back any results John.