Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   voyager 2.5 crd engine ticking noise (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/voyager-2-5-crd-engine-ticking-noise-24484/)

andyeastsussex 05-27-2015 07:13 AM

voyager 2.5 crd engine ticking noise

when accelerating can hear loud ticking noise from engine don't know if its tappets hydraulic lifters or hopefully not the crankshaft end of engine ive uploaded a video please click on link

goggs 05-27-2015 01:29 PM

My 2003 CRD makes a noise that I've heard on others and its either the Alternator De-Coupler or the belt tensioner. These are know points but they have been with my car for over 2 years now. Got parts to replace but Gardening comes first now. Yes dear, no dear, yes lovely plants.

goggs 05-27-2015 03:33 PM

While its running, unscrew oil filler cap above, remove and is noise louder.

andyeastsussex 05-28-2015 02:37 AM

you can only hear when accelerating

andyeastsussex 05-28-2015 04:31 PM

had a guy round to do diagnostics for the abs and mentioned about this noise guy thinks its a injector does it sound like a failed injector as im not sure what a failed one sounds like

andyeastsussex 05-29-2015 06:24 AM

but theres no codes to say injector is making the noise

goggs 05-29-2015 01:46 PM

I'm thinking noise is between tyre and driveshaft out of gearbox. You can get a klicking sound from a CV joint when on way out. And not just the full lock klick.
Anti-roll bars knock mostly on bumps and uneven surfaces due to wear in rubbers.
Control arm front mounting bolt is a rattle fit through the arm. Check secure.
On acceleration tyre is gripping, slipping very quickly and brings out any looseness in suspension.

andyeastsussex 05-29-2015 03:39 PM

hi goggs you can hear the noise when stationary with foot on clutch and reving went to a injection company they think it might be injector but they want 140 + just to check no way am I spending that sort of money just to check

andyeastsussex 05-29-2015 03:41 PM

does anyone know a way I can test the injectors ive tried a screw driver on top of them and I think they sound the same but cant be sure, ive never taken injector out of a diesel so I have no idea

goggs 05-30-2015 01:30 PM

Reving engine, stationary, foot on clutch. Do you mean it only makes noise when foot on clutch. We're getting somewhere on that issue. Clutch fingers.

andyeastsussex 05-30-2015 02:41 PM

no sorry foot doesn't need to be on clutch nor does it have to be stationary but when revving it makes noise and whilst driving and suddenly accelerating it pushes out black smoke

goggs 06-01-2015 12:48 PM

Thin you better get a compression test done asap. Maybe get the top cover/cam cover off as it sounds mechanical. Just in case issue.

andyeastsussex 06-01-2015 01:38 PM

its an injector apparently just need to find out which one

QinteQ 06-02-2015 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by andyeastsussex (Post 89558)
its an injector apparently just need to find out which one

HiYa andyeastsussex,

Testing, cleaning, changing etc there are lots of youtube howto's to get some idea of what your are dealing with. If you are anywhere near tfb he might be able to test them for you. Best of luck my friend.

tfb 06-03-2015 10:03 AM

You might get away with disconnecting the electrical connections to the injectors one at a time...whatever you do DON'T undo the fuel pipe, it's very dangerous. I can do a leak back test on them but that may or may not show anything.

Another trick is to use a stethoscope or failing that a long screwdriver held against your ear!

Regards
Richard

andyeastsussex 06-04-2015 03:51 AM

hi tfb where about in country are you ive tried screw driver test but I cant really tell any difference not sure what im suppose to listen or hear

andyeastsussex 06-04-2015 04:03 AM

right ive just been out to car disconnected the plug to a injector but wouldn't fire up so couldn't test it that way :(

Leedsman 06-04-2015 09:57 AM

I can confirm that diesel injectors CAN make a clicking noise when delivering more fuel, I had a Renault Megane that did just that. They were solenoid injectors, same as GV. It could well be the solenoid on one injector is clashing on something for some reason.
Maybe your best way out of your problem, if it be an injector, would be to buy a recon. one, then substitute it for each injector in turn. Fingers crossed...

Leedsman.
n.b. If it be an injector fault, it will be the last one you substitute. (Sod's law).
Also, the black smoke you mention is another pointer to injection problem.
Safety factor:
Make sure the nuts for the high-pressure fuel rail which runs at 25,000PSI approx. are done up properly.

QinteQ 06-04-2015 01:36 PM

Most quality mechs / engineers carry a spare known to be good for just that Q&D test. Its P&P anyway so not a problem - unscrew then plug in the known to be good and if it cures it there's no need to look further - hence the quick & dirty test.

tfb 06-04-2015 01:49 PM

I'm in Cambridgeshire, I would guess by your username it would be a fair trip to me.

While it's running try disconnecting the electrical plug to an injector, can't remember off the top of my head if the ecu will kill the engine or not. Might be possible to fool the ecu into thinking the injector is still connected by using a resistor or plugging in to a spare injector. The injectors are of the piezo type.

The cheapest spare injector on Ebay is about £50 and should be OK for testing with, 2.8 and 2.5 injectors are interchangeable.

Regards
Richard