Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Voyager fuel pump diagnostic (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/voyager-fuel-pump-diagnostic-9070/)

Chris Tyas 08-22-2009 02:17 PM

Voyager fuel pump diagnostic

Hi, 2.0i 1998 voyager ran out of fuel and has never restarted, initially didn't have spark so fitted new coil pack, leads and plugs (needed them anyway to cure misfire..) and now has good spark so attention turned to fuel system..

Cranked engine and checked pressure on fuel rail with 'bike tyre' type fitting at the front - no pressure..

disconnected fuel line to rail, cranked and no fuel, worked back to pump - removed both fuel line connectors and turned to ignition position 2 - pump runs for a second (vibration and audible confirmation) but no fuel out of either outlet..

Questions:

1) what are the two outlets? (i.e. why are there 2?) they both run to the external fuel filter on toip of the tank - the filter has only one outlet..

2) should fuel spurt out one or either outlet when the pump runs upon turning to ignition position 2?

3) depending on the answers to above - anyone know where I can get a new fuel pump for less than £210??!

I have removed the pump from the tank - the 'bag' filter at the bottom does not look in bad condition or dirty etc - it is holding petrol 'inside' it though which can be squeezed out - should it do this? (like a non-return valve I guess..)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris.

Scruffy 08-23-2009 01:41 AM

Hi Chris,

Sounds like the fuel pump especially as the system should always be under pressure and when unscrewing the bleed valve on the fuel injection rail you should have petrol comming out.

Spotted this fuel pump on Ebay - do a search on item number:- 270435731844 - it's price is £79.99 + delivery

Regards

Chris Tyas 08-23-2009 06:13 AM

Hi - thanks for your reply.

I spotted the item you mentioned - does this pump fit inside the pump / sender / filter assembly? My assembly looks like this:
Voyager fuel pump

Why are there two lines coming from the assembly? (Just out of interest..) One could be a safety over-pressure line which dumps back into the tank..?

Thanks again,

Chris.

Scruffy 08-23-2009 10:33 AM

Silly question but have you checked the fuel pump relay.

Your assembly is the fuel pump module which incorporates the fuel pump and cannot be serviced. The link I sent you was for the entire module.

Chris Tyas 08-24-2009 07:02 AM

Hi,
as far as checking the relay, I swapped it with the relay next to it (can't remember what it is, eatx shutdown??) which is the same size and rating and it made no difference, there is power to the pump on ignition position 2 - the pump makes an audible noise and vibrates as you would expect for a second or so when you initially turn to ignition position 2 but as I stated before, with both pipes disconnected nothing actually comes out of either outlet.

I'm still a bit confused re. the pump assembly - I have removed the full assembly, which includes the threaded cap with connectors, the pump body, the fuel level sender and 'bag' filter. This is as the photo previously linked.

The part on ebay appears to be much smaller and less complicated than this, I assume that this fits inside the full assembly described above?

Thanks again for you responses, I am used to German cars (VW and BMW) and have struggled a bit with the voyager to find out information etc (online and from the local Dealer - they don't appear to be very knowledgeable at all and aren't very helpful compared to VW dealers - ESPECIALLY for parts - they are hopeless at that..) - this forum is a little gold mine..

Chris.