Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Voyager PAS leak. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/voyager-pas-leak-9501/)

gareth111278 10-11-2009 01:43 PM

Voyager PAS leak.

Hi. i've just discovered I have a PAS leak from some-where behind the gearbox [transaxle]. I've not had chance to get it over a pit for a propper look yet.

Is there a likely source other than the steering rack its-self? Mine is RIGHT hand drive [UK]

I've just looked at the repair manual & the rack looks like a massive job to change, its it as bad as it looks?

Any help would very welcome

Gareth

Merlin 10-11-2009 02:30 PM

Hi
no most likely it will be the rack. Need to drop the subframe to change but not a bad job. Just when it's done watch the brake pipes. these can get bent and then contact the drive shafts and rub. Don't need to tell you how bad that can be and it is a know UK issue so be careful.

gareth111278 10-11-2009 03:24 PM

Hi Merlin.
Its Nice to know someone from the UK on this forum, i try to use American names for things but I'm never sure if I'm being clear.
Thanks for your advice, I've got a PDF workshop manual & I've been looking at the job. I've got access to a wide pit etc so I should be able to do it OK. The one part that concerns me is the 'intermedate coupler' the manual shows a special tool bing used to remove a roll pin, have you experience of this?
I've seen Re-con racks on E-bay for £115 exchange & i'll put new track rod ends on at £16 each. Do those prices sound reasonable to you?

I might even be able to get up to the rear spark plugs whilst its stripped out too!!

Cheers Gareth

Merlin 10-11-2009 03:37 PM

Hi
Yes the roll pin would be hard to get out without the tool as you have nothing to hold it and tap it out with a punch.
Yes the prices sound ok.

gareth111278 10-12-2009 02:43 AM

Thanks again Merlin.
I'll have to see if I can improvise a 'pusher' or get at it with a punch whilst the coupler is still connected to the steering shaft.
I'll get it in tomorrow & just check it is the rack but I recon its filling the O/S boot with fluid then blowing it out on left hand lock.
I'll keep you posted.

Gareth

gareth111278 10-14-2009 01:37 PM

GOOD NEWS!!

Its NOT the rack that's leaking, its the pressure feed from the pump to the rack.

I'm a lucky boy!!

baldboab 10-14-2009 03:11 PM

an easy fix then?

gareth111278 10-15-2009 01:24 AM

Wel......
easier than the rack, but the pipe isn't the easiest thing to get at!

AND I've got to get a pipe from Chrysler. They got me gearbox cooler pipes Ok so I'm hopefull!

Merlin 10-15-2009 01:17 PM

Post your vin (last 9) and I will check for you and even e mail a picture is you wish so you can pick them out.

gareth111278 10-16-2009 01:20 AM

Thanks Merlin. I haven't got the VIN here now but I'll bring it home from work and post it here later.
I phoned MBT Chrysler in Chester he also needs the VIN but he said that he'd had a PAS pipe on order for a 2.0L for 7 months!! eek!

I'm thinking of getting our local hydralic hose maker to do me a flexable one but the access to the fitting on the rack is very tight & it'd need some careful routing & protecting.

Thanks again I'll post after work.

Gareth

gareth111278 10-16-2009 04:09 PM

FAO Merlin

Hi Merlin.

The last 9 of my VIN are 3WU506161

I'd be glad of any help you can give.
Thanks again.
gareth

Merlin 10-16-2009 04:42 PM

ok see what I can see. Can't believe I am looking up part a 10:30 pm by the way you have 3 outstanding recall on your voyager.

Merlin 10-16-2009 04:53 PM

number I come up with is 04743444 could supersede to 04743444ab but see what your dealer comes up with.

gareth111278 10-17-2009 01:58 AM

Thanks Merlin, I'm sorry to get you looking up parts at 10.30 on a Friday night!!

I'll put those numbers to Gary at MBT Chrysler in Chester & see what he says.

Are those recalls anything serious? would Chrysler honor them on such an old car?

Thanks again for all your help. Enjoy your weekend.

Gareth

Merlin 10-17-2009 03:37 AM

Yes Chrysler would honor then so I would get them done. 1 is for clock spring (air bag fault) 1 handbrake clip and 1 fuel rail.

gareth111278 10-19-2009 10:55 AM

Hi Merlin.
That first part number was spot on! MBT in Chester can get it for me in 2 days, after i pay them £97+VAT !!

I've had a bash at getting it off but the fitting into the rack is almost impossible to get at & very tight. I'm going to a mate of mine's place after work tomorrow to have another go. It looks like the exhaust will have to come off but the bolts look like they've never been off & will snap as soon as I show them a spanner!

I'll keep you posted....

Gareth

lovely09 10-27-2009 12:43 AM

Nice to hear it was not that hard as the initial assessment.I'm sure you can easily fix it on your own.Good luck and let us know if you already resolve the issue.

gareth111278 10-27-2009 02:13 PM

UP DATE...

After being unable to crack off the pipe connector into the rack & burning my hand on the cat. I asked a local garage if they could do the job for me.
By this time it was pouring oil out & i'd lost power steering. They sugested that I called my breakdown service & got them to give the Garage the recovery job to tow it in. the garage would then deduct part of the call out from my final bill.
They promised to move it on Friday or first thing Saturday, it was Saturday afternoon before they get to it & then only because they mixed it up with another job!
The work was supposed to be done on Tuesday or Wednesday, I phoned them this morning to ask if the pipe had arrived & they say it'll be Thursday now!! I'm well p***ed off as we need it on Thursday.

I'm NEVER letting anyone else work on my cars EVER!!!

baldboab 10-27-2009 04:35 PM

Gareth really sorry to hear about your troubles. I suppose the one good thing is that you know exactly what is wrong with it and you will therefore not get ripped off by the garage for ficticious work (is that terribly untrusting). You know I was looking through the manual for the car and was wondering if you could have done the job yourself even if you managed to get the pipe off. I am struggling to find a trustworthy mechanic here. A new noise in my car has developed and I think I am going to need one! best of luck hope it goes okay.

Robert.

gareth111278 10-29-2009 04:59 AM

Hi Bob.

There's no chance of me getting ripped off, I know whats needed on the job!

I could do it, but my only place to work is on our pit at work. I can't leave the car on the pit if I hit a snag & I can't even push it out & leave it in the yard as we need every inch of space to park the buses overnight.

I'm just frustrated that it's only an hour's job but its been in almost a week now.

My Wife has gone down to her aunt's at Aberporth [2 hours each way] Her dad has lent her his Zafira so she hasn't had to take our little 1994 Fiat!

I trustworth mechanic is like a dog that speaks, very rare!!

gareth111278 10-29-2009 12:08 PM

ITS BACK!!

Got the car back PAS leak fixed but the battery had gone flat, i've got a faulty ingition switch!

The HVAC lights are flashing, how do I reset them?

I'm going to do anther thread for this problem.

Thanks to all

Gareth