Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

N E 1 done a CRD low pressure lift pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Default N E 1 done a CRD low pressure lift pump ?

2005 Stow'n Go 2.8 CRD

Anyone particularly in the UK done one of these ? Can you get spares for them and refurb ? The book says it's this but I suspect under the car in its 'canned' form it looks like this. While I'm here and posting, the IPM / Pump Relay.

Update.

It's nothing like the Chrysler Diesel Manual[s] say it is. Its a bog standard twist on filter in the engine bay low centre with a water drain tap tit on the end. The diesel heater is in / behind a plastic box directly under the drivers seat. I'm lucky and used a full on garage ramp, but both are easily accessible from 'jack stands' position if needs must.

Found nothing wrong other than when I turned the little drain off tit to check for water it turned the whole filter too easily. I suspect someone previous has spun a new filter on and forgot to nip~it~up allowing a drain back. We will see next time we have 5 consecutive days of -5 °C, I may have to come back tail between my legs and say I got it wrong.

Regardless anyone with a UK 2.8 .. .. you now know where the heater and filter are.

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-15-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Are you sure that you have a lift pump under the car?
Mine 2005 Voyager 2.8 CRD has a manual pump in the fuel filter housing in the engine bay...
I know that voyagers from 2005 onwards doens't have the lift pump...

Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by joker2cv
Are you sure that you have a lift pump under the car?
Mine 2005 Voyager 2.8 CRD has a manual pump in the fuel filter housing in the engine bay...
I know that voyagers from 2005 onwards doesn't have the lift pump...
- thanks for that joker2cv
- you posted while I was editing the new updated info
- your help is appreciated

You are correct, wish I asked yesterday I would have just stuck jacks under it. I couldn't understand why I could pull diesel up the lines when hand pumping but the car couldn't pull it when cranking. Nipping up the filter seems to have stopped it for now .. .. but you never know its a very mild day here compared to the last week.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Does your engine start?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by joker2cv
Does your engine start?
Quick potted history:

- parked up about a week
- of and on -5 °C never got over freezing point, car never used
- started first time as usual - 800CCA / 75ah - Bosch

- ran for 5 minutes then stopped

Got a M8 round with a two battery Land Cruiser, 8 minutes at 2000RPM from him into my battery, it spun over like an airplane prop, no start - Aborted to the pub.

Next day ditto, it wouldn't start, pulled an injector pipe and it dribbled like a baby. Made good the injector and felt around for a hand primer, found it [after removing the plastic engine cover] flat as a *art, hand pumped and primed till the bubble was hard and the pipe was pressured. It turned over and started.

- ran for 5 minutes then stopped

Clearly the hand priming could pull all the way and fill the filter but the cars 12-17psi low pressure pump could not. Still not sure I've sorted it but the fact is a hand prime will do it so I figure [only a guess] the slack fuel filter was drawing in air allowing the fuel run back once the tension was off it. Took it for a 20 minute each way ride to here with my mate in tow in case I needed another pump~n~jump and it ran like a well tuned sports car. So I've been on a garage ramp and had a look all the way from tank to engine, no visual or otherwise obvious problems, didn't check the fuel heater, because the plastic cover was warm to the touch so I assumed working ok.

If that proves to be the case and its sorted fine, I'm happy. If not I'll 'chonk' about 4 inches out of the metal [coated] fuel line and stick an in-line one way filter, that'll stop the bugger running back and give me the added benefit of a 'visual' on fuel. Even without the - °C cold weather I'll know tomorrow if the fuel has 'run backwards'. Thanks for your attention on this joker2cv, I'm still open to ideas and suggestions from you or anyone else.

Now to make my bad two days better, went out to it today and some 'snotrag' decided to completely snap off my drivers side mirror from a folded position, nice init ?

Update, and a salutary lesson. Went outside today, fired first time, so "a slack fuel filter was drawing in air" and allowing the fuel to run back was the cause. The lesson .. .. check the obvious first and the spin on fuel filter is the obvious.

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-16-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: dyslexic keyboard correction
Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Hi QinteQ

Not sure if I understood the thread properly but I agree with joker2cv, there's no lift pump on the 2005, the HP pump does all the work. The filter is at the front of the engine, spin on cannister with water drain plug.

Just a thought, its conceivable that whoever changed the filter last left the old "O" ring stuck to the filter housing, they have a habit of coming out of the groove in the filter when you undo them, just like the oil filter does sometimes.

Also I understand the filter housing does have a endancy to spring a leak where the fuel heater plug is. Pull the plug out and check for leaks.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by rodger
Hi QinteQ

Not sure if I understood the thread properly but I agree with joker2cv, there's no lift pump on the 2005, the HP pump does all the work. The filter is at the front of the engine, spin on cannister with water drain plug.

Just a thought, its conceivable that whoever changed the filter last left the old "O" ring stuck to the filter housing, they have a habit of coming out of the groove in the filter when you undo them, just like the oil filter does sometimes.

Also I understand the filter housing does have a tendency to spring a leak where the fuel heater plug is. Pull the plug out and check for leaks.

Hope this helps.
HiYa rodger, there's no heater at the 'spin on' its a bog standard water trap with sensor.

- the heater is under the drivers seat in under a plastic cover
- there is a mini rubber dome circa 1970's 'hand primer' next to the spin on

I haven't checked the heater under the drivers seat floor for leak air ingress yet, because it was 'felt warm' I assumed it was working, and was stupid not to check there and then while it was on a ramp. Neither have I stripped the hand primer but I will. Yes I've read about the 'old 0 ring' being left in and a new one put over it, I've ordered up new filter can, I'll check when I fit it. I've also read on the diesel head pump/filter, but that does not apply to my model of the EuroVan.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Hi QinteQ

We might be talking about two different heaters.

At the bottom of the spin on fuel filter there is either a drain tap or a water sensor If its got a water sensor (I think they all have) then it will have two wires ending in a plug that plugs into the bottom of the filter. When you change your filter you have to unscrew the white drain tap that comes with the filter (you don't need this) and swap it for the sensor (black plastic I think).

Above the spin on filter (on the plastic filter housing) there is a fuel heater, I think it comes on at less than 8 deg C.
This also has two wires ending in a plug, I understand it's this plug socket that can leak.

Hope this helps

Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by rodger
Hi QinteQ

We might be talking about two different heaters.

At the bottom of the spin on fuel filter there is either a drain tap or a water sensor If its got a water sensor (I think they all have) then it will have two wires ending in a plug that plugs into the bottom of the filter. When you change your filter you have to unscrew the white drain tap that comes with the filter (you don't need this) and swap it for the sensor (black plastic I think).

Above the spin on filter (on the plastic filter housing) there is a fuel heater, I think it comes on at less than 8 deg C.
This also has two wires ending in a plug, I understand it's this plug socket that can leak.

Hope this helps
HiYa M8, yes the one you describe is a head pump / filter similar to this one. That's what mine does not have, mines a bog standard filter can with a water trap and sensor. No pump and no heater. The heater is as stated elsewhere and it appears that all the pump is negative pull from the engine. Is your CRD a 2.8 long wheelbase ? - I wonder if they're different on the different UK CRD's and year of manufacture ? I know that CRD's have an issue with the LP system in general, the earlier models and the 2.5's had an LP pump near the rear axle. The Mk III's and above do not. It has to have one even if its incorporated into the HP pump.

Here is the exact correct can for a VOYAGER & GRAND VOYAGER 2,8 CRD 2004-2007 all you do is pull of the existing water trap and sensor and pop it on this can. No pump and no heater. My motor is now running and starting well, I'm just one of those poeple who wants to know how it works and would like someone to confirm the LP is in / part of the HP on my motor, cos as sure as hell its no where else.

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-20-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: insert URL