Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Won't take 134A (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/wont-take-134a-29473/)

atrdriver 06-09-2018 03:29 PM

Won't take 134A

I'm working on my girlfriends aunt's 2001 Town and Country. It has dual AC. I evacuated it for about 1.5 hours, and it held pressure fine. And I am using manifold gauges. When I try to recharge it it isn't taking refrigerant. As soon as I open the low side of the gauges it pressure jumps to 100. The compressor is engaged. And if I crack the High side valve the pressure equalizes almost immediately. I've been doing AC work for quite a while, but I don't think I have ever had one that wouldn't take any refrigerant at all. Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys!

bill440cars 06-11-2018 02:22 PM

I am at a loss, myself. I had to replace the condenser on ours. Swapped it out, pulled a vacuum on it and serviced it up just fine. I am mainly checking in here, to see what comes out of it, in case I ever run across this issue, then I hope to know what is up. Sorry I can't be of help.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-11-2018 10:31 PM

you have a clog some where. DId you get any freon in the system first? if not then no way the compressor would kick it the pressure is t low.
When it running what are the pressures? How about what was the original complaint before you started to work on it?

atrdriver 06-12-2018 09:03 AM

No, no freon went into it, except maybe a squirt. The clutch shouldn't be engaged, but it is. Original complaint was blowing hot air. There was a small amount of freon in it when I started, but not much. Someone at some time in the past had put dye into the system , and it is still there. As soon as the compressor kicks in the Low jumps to about 110, and if I crack the high side gauge it is at the same value as the low side. I'm leaning toward a bad compressor, but wanted opinions.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-13-2018 09:04 PM

sorry something does not make sense
1 I evacuated it for about 1.5 hours, and it held pressure fine. And I am using manifold gauges. When I try to recharge it it isn't taking refrigerant
Which means there is no freon in the system.

2 As soon as the compressor kicks in the Low jumps to about 110, and if I crack the high side gauge it is at the same value as the low side

not possible unless there is freon in the system.

atrdriver 06-13-2018 09:12 PM

I would tend to agree with you, but I'm telling you what it is doing. There is no freon in the system at all. The clutch is engaged, and both low and high side stabilize somewhere around 100-110 PSI. Someone in the past has put dye into the system, and some is still there, so it's possible something is plugged, but when I open the low side valve with nothing hooked to the yellow charge hose nothing comes out. And as I said, I had it on a vac pump for about 1.5 hours. So unless there is a solid block somewhere in the system holding freon behind it, there is none in the system. I would be happy to post a pic of the gauges if you can post pics on this board.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-15-2018 06:29 PM

listen Either A you dont know how to work a set of ac gauges and a vacuum pump
Or there is a bad clog not allowing the freon to move around.

No freon in the system A you can not have pressure its like a deflated balloon.

So do this get a screw driver and press down on the little shrader valve on the high side and low side does freon come out? If yes then you still have some in there and you did not evacuate the system out.

atrdriver 06-19-2018 02:51 PM

OK, I got that issue figured out, I had a bad adapter for the low side for my manifold gauges. Once I replaced it my pressures went back to normal and it took freon. However, now I have another problem.

It is blowing fairly cold on the drivers side, and through the dash vents. The passenger side though, is blowing high heat through the floor vents. The rear unit blows about the same temp as the drivers side. I attempted to re-calibrate the control unit, and that didn't make any difference. I am assuming that this is one of the blend doors having problems. Any idea which one I need to address? I haven't gotten into them yet, but I have looked at some diagrams, and it would appear that there are 3 of them. Thanks for you assistance.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-19-2018 06:41 PM

if you have dual air control then you would have 4 motors 2 for blend one for mode and one for recalculation

Fairly cold on driver side ?? How much freon did you put into the system?
Now you figured out how to use the manifold gauges what is the high and low side pressures with ac on and the temp outside?

atrdriver 06-20-2018 05:23 PM

I put in just a little under 3 lbs. The tag said 2.88 lbs for one with rear AC. Pressure at idle is about 185/34. Outside temp is about 84 degrees, and it is fairly humid. Air out of all the upper vents, including the rear unit vents, is pretty cool, but not very cold, although the air out of the rear vents is colder than that coming from the dash vents. . The passenger side heater vent is wide open blowing full heat.