Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Cirrus & Breeze (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/cirrus-breeze-22/)
-   -   95 Cirrus engine kill problem?? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/cirrus-breeze-22/95-cirrus-engine-kill-problem-3436/)

dukta 07-17-2007 11:34 PM

95 Cirrus engine kill problem??

hey guys, I've got a '95 cirrus LXi, 2.5 Liter V6 engine. For maybe the past 8-12 months it's had an intermittant problem where the engine would start, and then after 1 or 2 seconds, kill. All I could do was wait for about an hour or more, and after letting it rest it would start again. After awhile I found out this had something to do with the anti-theft system, because when the problem happened, I could lock myself in the car, wait for the anti-theft to arm, and then trip it (horn, lights, etc.) by pulling the handle, and reset it manually with the key outside the door. THEN the car would start right up (weird, huh?).. This worked flawlessly every time I did it, until about a month ago. Now the problem is still there, but the trick doesn't work at all :(... So now the car is in the shop and they want to try replacing the ignition switch- does that even make sense? Are there any wiring diagrams available to check what could be wrong? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

CHRYSLER TECH 07-17-2007 11:52 PM

RE: 95 Cirrus engine kill problem??

U have it in an aftermarket shop??? if they cant see what tripped the alarm last u will be spending money on there guess work.I doubt that the ign switch is the cause hehe. I tell u what if i had a dollar for every time ........ Ne way The bcm has a function to which a chrysler scan tool can see what tripped teh alarm last and from there a BETTER idea can be made to what is the reall issue. Think for yourself the ign switch is nothing but a way to comvert mechanical energy u turning the key into electrical energy the relays and all the other good stuff. U said it would start and run for 1-2 seconds and then die and let it sit for awhile and do the key in door issue. Now what part of that has nething to do with turning the key in the ign switch??? If the switch was bad so tehy say u would not get nething from the switch like,starter not turning over,or windows not working or cluster not becoming active. Does this make sence to u what i just said?? SO b4 u spend the money on them replacing the switch get them to tell u why they want to put it in and see if there line of BS is thin.

dukta 07-31-2007 11:44 PM

ok, so now he says it's not the ign switch. He says if he sprays carb cleaner where the injectors are, it will keep the engine running. He says it's the PCM that's not giving the command to the injectors, and it's the BCM not communicating with the PCM which is causing this, so he says they both need to be replaced fresh with factory parts that have the same code & will communicate with each other. This is all very expensive- have you heard of this "code" thing between the two modules? The previous owner had the PCM replaced, and he says this is the problem, as it was not specifically designed to communicate with the BCM. He says I cannot replace them with the computers off a junkyard cirrus- they must be parts from the factory. Is that true?

CHRYSLER TECH 08-01-2007 10:35 AM

the guy u are talking to does not know chrysler for crap this much i can tell u based off the first guess work that he did with the ign switch. Give me the last 8 of your vin I will find out if it even came with a factory alarm system. He would be correct about the computers though u cant replace them with junk yard ones that will mess things up more.

dukta 08-07-2007 06:31 PM

Yes, I'd appreciate that. It's SN522910. Can you tell me which digit specifically tells whether it's got the VTSS, or what the other digits of this part of the VIN indicate?

CHRYSLER TECH 08-08-2007 05:00 PM

yep u have an alarm so the bcm is not bad by saying that u have one and u dont U wull need to take this to a dealer so they can get into the VTSS computer and see what set it off last and so on.
LSAP Security Alarm

dukta 08-16-2007 07:02 PM

ha... (sheds a tear)... that's the best news I've heard so far. So you're saying the BCM is not bad? I finally made an appointment to have it towed to the Chrysler dealer today, then stopped by the aftermarket shop to see it again tonight. One of the many techs I'd called said I might as well try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I popped the hood, disconnected the battery, and jiggled the PCM connectors. Reconnected the battery and it actually started, first time in weeks.... maybe almost months, even... I think I'll rename this car "Purgatory"

Anyway, immediately after this it flashed me some "check engine" codes as well- 12, 27, and 55.

12- "direct battery input to PCM disconnected within last 50 ign key-on cycles" - ok, knew that.

27- "One of the injector control circuit output drivers does not respond properly to the control signal. Check the circuits." - what does this mean?

55- "end of codes"

Does #27 have anything to do with the PCM?

loninappleton 08-21-2007 12:26 AM

I am jumping in on this thread because the problem is similiar with my 95 Cirrus V-6.

Just today I had a problem starting. Wouldn't turn over. Then I dids the flooded engine routine of holding down gas pedal like happenes in winter. That got it going. The out of the parking lot zi got
stranded in traffic when it punked out. After some arm wagging the traffic went around me. I had
another short start and goit it into a supermarket lot. I left ti sit there and took a bus figuing I'd
call for the service I use (aftermarket) to tow it int he morning.

I came back to the supermarket lot to leave a key in a safe place for the tow truck.
I tried to start itagin and it turned over first time, was fairly smooth and I drove it back
home the few blocks I went. SEveral restarts showed no hesitation.

On previous trips to the service, they couldn't find anything wrong after running
the handheld computer. So it's like running the codes resets whatever was screwed up
until the next time.

If this should be in a fresh thread let me know. It's my first post here. The car has
had a number repairs recently most notable the distributor 'head'.