Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/detailing-34/)
-   -   Engine Coolant (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/detailing-34/engine-coolant-3889/)

donnyohs 10-02-2007 04:40 PM

Engine Coolant

Can anyone tell me what type of coolant they put in chryslers..... mine is pink and I can only find green stuff in stores.

pink_floyd1988 11-02-2007 10:04 AM

RE: Engine Coolant

look at the coolent back on the bottle sometimes it will tell you it goes both ways lol. i think prestone (sp.) makes that kind of coolent i used it in my dodge pick up. hope this helps let me know :-)

moe 11-02-2007 02:23 PM

RE: Engine Coolant

ENGINE COOLANT
WARNING: ANTIFREEZE IS AN ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASE COOLANT AND IS HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. IF SWALLOWED, DRINK TWO GLASSES OF WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING. IF INHALED, MOVE TO FRESH AIR AREA. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT STORE IN OPEN OR UNMARKED CONTAINERS. WASH SKIN AND CLOTHING THOROUGHLY AFTER COMING IN CONTACT WITH ETHYLENE GLYCOL. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. DISPOSE OF GLYCOL BASE COOLANT PROPERLY, CONTACT YOUR DEALER OR GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR LOCATION OF COLLECTION CENTER IN YOUR AREA. DO NOT OPEN A COOLING SYSTEM WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE OR HOT UNDER PRESSURE, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT. AVOID RADIATOR COOLING FAN WHEN ENGINE COMPARTMENT RELATED SERVICE IS PERFORMED, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT.
CAUTION: Use of Propylene Glycol based coolants is not recommended, as they provide less freeze protection and less boiling protection.
The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol base coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
The green coolant MUST NOT BE MIXED[/b] with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant the complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.
CAUTION: Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Doing so will reduce the corrosion protection and may result in premature water pump seal failure. If non-HOAT coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified coolant as soon as possible. hope this helps.let me know ..moe!!

indept 04-08-2010 10:13 PM

Moe,
What brand aftermarket will mix directly with the factory fill on a 2007 Pacifica with the 4.0L?
I just had mine to the dealer yesterday and they replaced the waterpump (and the front crankshaft seal) under warranty. I checked this morning & the tank was low, most likely due to the air bleeding out of the system. I really don't want to drive back to the dealer to have them top it off, which I'm sure they'd do for free. I figure it would be easier to buy a few gallons to have it on hand for future use. I don't want to put something wrong in it & void the warranty.

keviinpiter 03-01-2011 03:07 PM

They replaced the waterpump (and former crankshaft seal) during the warranty period.I checked this morning and the tank is low, most likely due to the air bleeding out of the system. I really do not want to drive back to the dealer to their worst, I'm sure they are willing to free.

SpudlerT+CTouring 04-26-2011 01:44 AM

Interesting as the 2005 I purchased exactly 1 week ago had a water pump replaced at 40K I read where using standard Anti-Freeze will destroy the waterpump seals so I kinda figured that may of been what the previous owner did as I see no reason what so ever for a water pump failure at 40K and only 4 years old.
This new H.O.A.T. Coolant is some weird stuff as the first time I actually looked into the radiator from cap I would of bet the farm it was full of rusty water ( Worst I had ever seen too and Iv'e seen systems ran for 8-10 Months with only water) So I was all upset got my tester to see what Kinda hose job I was getting and when I pulled it into tester (Like Magic) It turned into pink lemonade.
I have never seen anything in my life that looked like Rusty water then be Pink when not in radiator.
Now where in the heck do I get H.O.A.T Coolant besides MOPAR Dealerships as i have looked at Wal-Mart and Kmart and have not seen it.
I have not tried Autozone yet though is it obviously Marked H.O.A.T or does it say something like Enviro friendly?
I read where Prestone has a 5 year mix with any color Antifreeze but I think I will just go with what the Designers at MOPAR suggest I use, It could cost 30 a gallon and that fine with me last thing I need is to ruin something not to mention this is the (by Leaps and Bounds) the most expensive and fanciest, Smoothest, Cleanest, Etc. Etc Vehicle I have owned.
I had to buy alot of crap until now so I plan to spare no expense to give my Black Beauty the best of everything, If it ever quits raining I have a nice day or 2 planned of Glazing and waxing it until it blinds everyone with its deep Gloss and beaing it is what I believe they call Brilliant Black Pearl it will look sweet when I am done.

Djinn-n-Tonic 04-26-2011 09:57 PM

The pink is fairly recent.....

Up until about a year ago, we shared the "DEXCOOL ORANGE" color with GM, although they were two different coolants....

I will argue with the best of them over this....BUT" MIX WITH ANY COLOR" Coolant is a crock...

You will understand, when you have to flush the pancake syrup out of your radiator.

As for Mopar Coolant for your 05.....It is available at parts stores, if you get a counterman who knows his stuff, and you know what to ask for.

I have always had better luck with the "NO-BRAND" mom and pop type parts stores, with the little old man crouched down at the counter.....who has every piece of stock committed to memory...

Computer??....I DONT NEED NO STINKIN COMPUTER.... As he blows the dust off of a set of Valve cover gaskets for a 1967 383 Belvedere...

SpudlerT+CTouring 04-27-2011 05:58 AM

Ya I know the exact same person I think , its the guy when you walk in and ask for alternator brushes for a alternator that is no longer made and finding anything is like wining thelottery and he says Hmm Let me see and all of a sudden pipes up and says I think they are right here pulls out the item and say I think they been on the shelf since I took over for my father back in 71.
About Antifreeze I do know the waterpump was replaced about 40K ago so I have about 2-1/2 years or 60K left until it needs replaced according to OM.
Do you call it HOAT or what exactly when you ask for it?
back to parts counter people I used to get so steamed when I would go into a (Schucks was the worst by far) Parts store ask for a item of course given the incorrect one to go home disassemble only vehicle I had to realize part was incorrect so far incorrect they were not even distant cousins, No with no vehicle walk back to part store explain it was wrong part with bad one to make sure next one was correct to have parts kid (usually kids that had no clue about auto anything) tell me the part I recieved was correct because the computer said so only to have to argue with him showing how my bad one was nothing like what I recieved to have to listen to him say my part is incorrect because his computer said it was the one I received.
after 2nd time of that I would not even go in there to buy a lil tree airfreshner.

LazyE 11-14-2011 11:57 AM

What kind of coolant

The coolant that is approved for 2001 and newer chryslers are a HOAT formula, either from the dealer, or the only aftermarket approved MS-9769 spec coolant is ZEREX G-05 spec coolant, you can pick it up at Napa or an auto parts store, anything other than those 2 will short the life span of the water pump and the protection of the system.