Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Forum Issues (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/forum-issues-10/)
-   -   2.8d temperature/ overheating (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/forum-issues-10/2-8d-temperature-overheating-20283/)

tony k 08-22-2013 08:56 AM

2.8d temperature/ overheating

Hi all. I have an 07 grand voyager diesel, I live in the uk, I use the car for long distance running because round town it uses too much fuel. A month or so ago we set off on holiday to go to sardinia [italy]. The car hadnt been used for a few months, When the car reached temp it was half way on the guage, i thought that was higher then normal. Anyway i drove the car from yorkshire in the uk throughto the south of france marseille, then the ferry to sardinia. it was a journey of 1200 miles, the engine temp stayed constant at half way.
Whilst driving around in sardinia all seemed ok, untill one day we decided to visit my cousin about 60 miles away there were some long hills on one very steep and long hill whenthe car was under load the temp guage started to rise till it almost hit the red. i was about to stop we got to the top started going downhill and the temp started to cool back down to the middle. oming back home on the journey when the car was going up long hills and working hard it started going hot. ihave been to italy every year but has never been a problem, sorry for the long explanation. Coolant oil etc levels all ok Anybody any ideas, many thanks Tony

dcotter0579 08-22-2013 01:17 PM

Going up til it "almost hits the red" on an uphill climb isn't necessarily "overheating", but if it never did that in the past, then it's worth looking in to.
Possible causes would include failing thermostat, plugged radiator (internal), plugged radiator (external), fans not working, water pump not working, radiator cap, old antifreeze, improper antifreeze or improper mixture. Check the cheap things first.

In the future, you might want to post in the Voyager forum where people go to exchange ideas about Voyagers.

tony k 08-22-2013 01:34 PM

sorry i wrote in the wrong section. the only reason it did not go into the red was that the hill finished. I will check the cheapest options first. its my first posting so not familiar with site, will pay more attention from now on, [Had the same problem at school] Wont know if i ame in the right place until i hit submit

Leedsman 09-01-2013 11:22 AM

I had exactly your problem with my GV when I first got it. I disconnected the radiator, let the coolant out, and blew through it heavily, and thought "there's too much resistance there"! I was right, it was plugged up. The man did the job showed me how the old rad. was "bowed" slightly across the top, the aluminium part. This he said was a dead-giveaway for a plugged up rad. I believed him totally -- because he manufactured them! Since replacing the rad, all probs. have disappeared, seems impossible to overheat now whatever I do.
I surmized the antifreeze had not been changed since new, it was supposed to last 5 years and had done seven. You need Comma's hoat (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). It has a big "05" on the container. Nearly 2 gallsUK for the 50% solution you need here. The plastic expansion tank before doing the job was full of s**ite and bits.

Cost of rad......£140.
Labor...............£150.
Antifreeze........£45. (Comma's 05 type).
Mechanic's tip..£30. (So next time I need him he'll be there with bells on).

BTW, I'm getting 34mpgUK. on mixed running, some town, some motorway/highway. I use only the brim--brim method vs. miles covered to calculate. The mpg. meters in cars can be way off.

Leedsman.

tony k 09-02-2013 05:10 AM

gv

thanks leeds man, Ilooked in the expansion tank it looked like what you said. I was going to take it to get the cooling system flushed. Now that ive had a positive reply. I will let you Know when the job has been done.

dcotter0579 09-02-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman (Post 72997)
Cost of rad......£140.
Labor...............£150.
Antifreeze........£45. (Comma's 05 type).
Mechanic's tip..£30. (So next time I need him he'll be there with bells on).

WOW! £140 for a radiator! You can buy one for over here for less than $100 (Check out rockauto.com - they'll quote you a price in pounds or euros or whatever.) With what you guys pay for fuel, I can't see how anybody can afford to drive over there.

Leedsman 09-03-2013 05:06 AM

Right on Dcotter, AND we have to pay £6:35 per gallUK for diesel.
If only the US and UK could stand shoulder to shoulder on prices...if only.
How'd you like to have to pay over a third of a million quid for a VERY average house in London?

Leedsman.
p.s. In case you were wondering, no, I don't live in London...