Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Forum Issues (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/forum-issues-10/)
-   -   Voyager Shakes from side to side (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/forum-issues-10/voyager-shakes-side-side-8043/)

wv53 04-10-2009 04:16 PM

Voyager Shakes from side to side

Well I have just had both front wheels changed with new tryes, both track rod ends replaced, sway link arms replaced, wheels balanced, laser tracking done and all wheels balanced and now everything is solid on the front steering etc...

thats until when accellerating you get to 40mph and the car judders and shakes from side to side?!?:mad:

it will get more violent until you pass 50mph then it stops and there is no trace of it?:confused:

any suggestions?

have checked the driver side engine mount and no evidence of rubber fatigue no cracks etc...

i'm confused, was trawling through the web and have found and i remember reading that the gearbox oil might have something to do with it?

is this right? because i have trouble getting down from third to second gear until the car has been driving for around 15mins then it slides in a dream??

if anyone here has any advice/clues/guesses or just wants to point and laugh then fire away guys :rolleyes:

thanks in advance! lol:D

Merlin 04-12-2009 02:41 PM

does it shake again at 80? if so get the tyres checked again or swap front to rear

wv53 04-12-2009 03:23 PM

hey merlin,

just had the tyres all balanced, swapped from from to back already tracking done etc...

I've read somewhere that it could be an engine mount so I've had my father in law check them and he says they are fine, very good condition?!?

it's puzzling, you can't feel the shake through the steering like you would imagine, or through the pedals, you just feel the whole vehicle shake?

but as i mentioned its only with your foot on the accelerator, as soon as you take the power off the shake dissappears? I have asked the guy who looks after one of my other vehicles (rover 220sd)

and he first said tracking, so i sorted it, then he said wheel balancing, so i got that sorted.

there is one more thing i have got to do which i shall do tomorrow sometime, and that is the antiroll bar bushes, they arrived saturday although i haven't had chance to fit them yet as we had an easter egg hunt for the kids and a bit of a do with friends and family alike bustlin around lol

other than what i have already mentioned there is nothing else i can think of?

wv53 04-13-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 26740)
does it shake again at 80? if so get the tyres checked again or swap front to rear

I have changed the driver side anti-roll bar bush (the one that was there had a lot of play) and the shaking has almost dissappeared, ran outta time to change the passenger side had to get ready for work, Gotta take it for it's MOT at noon tommorrow, fingers crossed,

will be more difficult to change the passenger side because the air con compressor is mounted in the way! well thats what i think it is anyway! lol:o

I'll post back after I've been for MOT with either a huge smile or a list of q's hahaha

wv53 05-01-2009 04:23 AM

Sorry I haven't posted an update, things been busy this end!

Right on to business

The shaking from side to side is now fixed, after we'd changed nearly everything to do with the steering and antiroll bar assembly!

It was the driverside inner cv joint sliding bearing (tulip as i've seen mentioned elsewhere!)

I couldn't get hold of a tulip bearing from anywhere so in the end I bought a complete shaft for under a hundred quid recon unit.

have driven it a few times now and been waiting for the wobble ...even trying to egg it on to wobble but it's definatley gone! wooho!!

jlopez00 08-19-2010 10:33 AM

Wow, i'm new to the forum but so happy I found this thread! I just started having the exact same issue on my 2001 TC AWD. It is so annoying. Mine happens between 50 and 55 MPH and only while i'm accelerating. I'm quite releived as i thought it could be a transmission issue.

Whew! Thanks again!

terryandrhoda 08-30-2011 03:54 AM

vibration

have had same problem with a 3.3 awd, only worse. Severe vibration on accell. does not stop, is continuous. Been to garage and he said it was torque converter, in spain thats 3000 euros plus labour. I said i dont think so, took the car for a test drive with mechanic and i proved it was more severe on left bends, and i thought it was c.v., they are now awaiting new c.c. will let you know results, if it is cured i will give full rundown of what happened. I am new to the forum and am finding it most helpfull.

I do not want to change the 2000 awd , it uses fuel but is one of the best long distnce motors i have had.