Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Forum Issues (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/forum-issues-10/)
-   -   white/Blue smoke issue of Grand Voyager 2004 Diesel CRD (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/forum-issues-10/white-blue-smoke-issue-grand-voyager-2004-diesel-crd-18758/)

craig cowlin 12-13-2012 03:35 AM

white/Blue smoke issue of Grand Voyager 2004 Diesel CRD

Please Help.....
I have an issue which to date is driving me mad and the mechanics cant find anything wrong with it!.
I have a 2004 2.8 CRD Grand Voyager, 90,000 miles. The weather turned cold recently and i started noticing excessive smoke when starting the car (more smoke when started in morning) and sitting at junctions for 30 seconds or longer. I looked more into it and saw it was white(ish) blue smoke, so i call a garage who took a look at it, they replaced the fuel filter because it was very badly clogged and contaminated, and replaced the air filter was heavily blocked. Gave it back and said see how that goes, 1 week later took it back as still not sorted, they said i needed a new turbo so they replaced that together with the cambelt. I was told cambelt was done but couldnt see evidence in service book so got it done to be safe. Drove it for 2 more week still smoking the same, i took it back and they told me they have done every possible test on it and noting bad is going wrong with it, they took out a litre and a half of oil because it may of had too much in and said see how it goes. Now 1 week later still the same!!!!!
The garage must think i am mad but i seriously dont know what to do with it. Antifreeze looks good, oil looks good condition, not over heating running fine (apart from excess smoke).
Please can some offer any suggestions on what i should do?
Thanks
Craig

geegar233 12-13-2012 08:04 AM

hi when you start it from cold first thing in the morning does it take longer to start, or do you need to touch the throttle a bit. or does it start like normal just with the smoke?
next time you go to start it in the morning if you could just go and have a smell of the smoke coming from the exhaust, as my guess is that it is unburnt diesel if it smells like unburnt diesel then i recon it could be glow plug fault or glow plug control relay, the reason i say this is mine is doing the same as in hard to start in morning puffs out white smoke (smells of unburnt diesel) i have tracked it down the relay in mine.
you can find it under the bonnet bolted to the front panel on the right hand side as you are looking at the engine there is 4/5 relays depending on manual or auto you want the far right one its grey in colour all the rest are black is the one you need to look at. i removed mine for inspection and found that one of the pins was discoloured and there was a slight melting of the plastic, i have ordered one its a non stock item but should be in on friday or monday latest i will let you know if this sorts my problem.

geegar233 12-13-2012 08:17 AM

could also be egr valve fault?
or dpf?

craig cowlin 12-13-2012 09:14 AM

when starting from cold it starts like normal, straight away.
You are right it does smell like unburnt diesel, would the glow plug come into play when sat at a junction say? because it kicks out a puff or 2 of light blue smoke when pulling out onto the roundabout etc?

craig cowlin 12-13-2012 09:22 AM

although just thinking; on the odd occasion it has turned over but the moment its started it almost goes to stall but it doesn’t and carries on idling if you understand my meaning. However for the the 1st time just this weekend after starting from cold i drove to collect something (about 2 miles away) then stopped, when i got back in to start it took 2 attempts to turn over, but its been starting 1st time since then......

craig cowlin 12-13-2012 10:39 AM

Would a faulty egr valve cause lack of power in mid rev range 1,500 / 2,000rpm say 3rd and 4th gears (auto box) when going uphill or over taking etc takes while / sometimes doesn’t pick up speed at all?

geegar233 12-13-2012 01:47 PM

Yes faulty egr valve could be problem has the garage done a diagnostics check as it should show up on it I have seen it where it doesn't. You can do it yourself by putting key in ignition turn it onto the first click then ignition on,off,on,off,on leave it on, you should do this quickly I.e within 5 seconds then look at your oddmotor reading if it says done then there is no fault code stored if it comes up with a p0--- code you will need to google code make sure you are in park with handbrake on. You can bypass egr valves and your car will run smoother better mpg and pull better at low revs my old man has done this on his 07 plate mondeo taxi he is getting 50 to the gallon on a run he was getting 44 won't harm it any either he done this at 50k and is on 272k. Judging by what you have described I don't think it's a glow plug problem. Was it a Chrysler main dealer where you had taken it?

craig cowlin 12-14-2012 02:53 AM

It wasnt a chrysler main dealer, it was a general repair centre. Apartantly at the start of all this the 1st time they had the car in i was told they carried out a diagnostics check. I have just done the ignition check like you said and i got a P0514 code.....

geegar233 12-14-2012 03:32 AM

It might be worth poping into your Chrysler main dealer and trying to have a chat with one of the technicians as they work with Chrysler all day long and they might of encountered this before explain in detail that you have taken it to a garage and with the symptoms and the work you have had carried out and that it is still the same. Regarding your fault code it is relating to the sensor under the battery it has prob only got a bad connection and wouldn't cause your symptoms. Back to you problem was it as bad thismorning as it was warmer

craig cowlin 12-14-2012 04:09 AM

yes it just seemed the same, i did check on a cold start what the smoke smelt of and its more a diesel smell than an oil smell but its still a pale blue colour...
I have noticed the smoke more once the engine is up to temperature, even waiting at a junction for 10/ 15 seconds will cause a good puff of smoke when pulling away. Last night temperature was done to -3 and pulling out of junctions onto dual carriageways when engine was cold, it has hardly any power once i got into 2nd, 3rd gears, so i think your theory on the egr valve has something to do with the problem. Also to help give the injectors a clean should i get an additive which is put in with the fuel to try and clean out and lubricate the injectors?
Thanks so much for your help on this.