Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   1995 dodge neon not stopping (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/1995-dodge-neon-not-stopping-9690/)

porscheminitech 11-04-2009 03:15 PM

1995 dodge neon not stopping

Non ABS car will not stop fast. When performing a panic stop it will not slide a tire. So far replaced front calipers front pads 2x and now I have ordered vacuum booster.
anybody had similar issues

Casey

22chrysler 11-05-2009 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by porscheminitech (Post 31943)
Non ABS car will not stop fast. When performing a panic stop it will not slide a tire. So far replaced front calipers front pads 2x and now I have ordered vacuum booster.
anybody had similar issues

Casey

I've never had this similar issue when I do a proper brake service which includes new rotors. and you didn't say anything about the rear brakes?

leeb 11-07-2009 02:41 AM

OEM wheels/tires?

22chrysler 11-08-2009 09:21 PM

what diff does the wheels and tires make?

leeb 11-09-2009 06:22 AM

If replacement wheel/tire combinations create a larger 'contact patch' the stopping ability will tend to increase if the overall weight of the vehicle does not change or decreases...

One reason why they tend to use slicks/superwide tires on racing vehicles...

at least, that is how I understand it...

22chrysler 11-09-2009 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by leeb (Post 32492)
If replacement wheel/tire combinations create a larger 'contact patch' the stopping ability will tend to increase if the overall weight of the vehicle does not change or decreases...

One reason why they tend to use slicks/superwide tires on racing vehicles...

at least, that is how I understand it...

How do you figure that? larger contact patch will decrease stopping distance. that's part of the reason we put larger tires on our race cars. But the main reason for 'slicks' and 'superwide' tires is for cornering and acceleration.

If you really understood how brake systems work and understand what the guy's problem is, you'd be able to offer advise to help him. and wheels/tires are not his problem what so ever.

leeb 11-09-2009 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 22chrysler (Post 32497)
How do you figure that? larger contact patch will decrease stopping distance. that's part of the reason we put larger tires on our race cars. But the main reason for 'slicks' and 'superwide' tires is for cornering and acceleration.

If you really understood how brake systems work and understand what the guy's problem is, you'd be able to offer advise to help him. and wheels/tires are not his problem what so ever.

Okay, this is going 2b my last post in this forum.

The larger contact patch would make it more difficult to break the wheels loose...

Obviously I do NOT understand the inital problem as it SEEMED that he was complaining that he could not break the tires loose...

But I will no longer be concerned about it... you are obviously FAR superior to me here...

porscheminitech 11-09-2009 07:49 AM

Stock wheels and tires, i have replace the master cylinder, booster, and proportion valves.

Casey

22chrysler 11-09-2009 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by leeb (Post 32498)
Okay, this is going 2b my last post in this forum.

The larger contact patch would make it more difficult to break the wheels loose...

Obviously I do NOT understand the inital problem as it SEEMED that he was complaining that he could not break the tires loose...

But I will no longer be concerned about it... you are obviously FAR superior to me here...

good since you really didn't have much to offer in this topic

OP, you didn't answer my first question about rotors?

you need to give A LOT more info about your symptoms. So far you've thrown a lot of parts at it without any improvements.

You need to describe, more accurately, the 'feel' you have on the brakes. is it like you mash on the brakes and it takes forever to shop?

if you drive nice, slowly stop are the brakes really hot?

leeb 11-09-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 22chrysler (Post 32501)
good since you really didn't have much to offer in this topic

I will wait with bated breath to see what you come up with....

... perhaps I'll learn something.

and perhaps not.