Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   2009 Dodge Charger throttle light (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/2009-dodge-charger-throttle-light-30673/)

elijahs1216 04-29-2019 10:37 PM

2009 Dodge Charger throttle light

A few weeks ago my check engine light and throttle control light came on after driving for about 10 minutes, at the same time my temperature gauge was all the way down on C like on a cold start (it should have moved up at least a quarter of the way by that time). Right away i pulled over and reset the throttle sensor and the throttle light shut off and temp gauge went back to normal, after driving for a bit longer the check engine light shut off.
Everything seemed fine.

a few days later this happened again. same process but i took the car to have the code read. it read for a cooling issue. I added coolant hoping that was the problem and the light went off faster this time.
the same issue happened today... twice. it seems to be repeating faster. Im not having any issue with throttle control, it seems to be working normally. (no shaking or uncontrolled accel or decel) but im wondering why the light would come on during a cooling code.

elijahs1216 04-29-2019 10:38 PM

also for reference i have the 2.7L V6

REBEL59 04-30-2019 06:01 AM

How much coolant did you have to add? The temp Gage and warning light and CEL denotes that the ECT sensor had nothing to read from due to lack of coolant, and will turn on those lights accordingly and driven far enough will put the car in limp mode.
Check for coolant leaks and repair as needed (hoses, fittings,possible heater core leak,thermostat, radiator,cap and possible water pump). The 2.7 is a bit of a pain for some coolant issues and a real nasty for water pump...but it is what it is as far as design and one has to deal with it as such...sorry no magic wand with these motors.

elijahs1216 04-30-2019 10:11 AM

I added up to the full line at cold in the morning after it at all night. Just checked this morning and it’s back really low I think I have a coolant leak which is making more sense. Taking it in now to have my mechanic find the leak.

Originally Posted by REBEL59 (Post 110306)
How much coolant did you have to add? The temp Gage and warning light and CEL denotes that the ECT sensor had nothing to read from due to lack of coolant, and will turn on those lights accordingly and driven far enough will put the car in limp mode.
Check for coolant leaks and repair as needed (hoses, fittings,possible heater core leak,thermostat, radiator,cap and possible water pump). The 2.7 is a bit of a pain for some coolant issues and a real nasty for water pump...but it is what it is as far as design and one has to deal with it as such...sorry no magic wand with these motors.

Wraiththe 02-05-2020 11:09 PM

Had a similar issue, the seal for the radiator cap was bad... I replaced it and it went back to normal.