Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   '93 Voyager 2.5L belt noise (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/93-voyager-2-5l-belt-noise-4082/)

5 string Mike 11-01-2007 05:49 PM

'93 Voyager 2.5L belt noise

Hi all,

First off, I am new to the Forum, I haven't made it to the New Member page yet, sorry.

I also tried the Search feature, to no avail.

I just bought a 93 Voyager with the 2.5 last week. It's a nice van, great condition, below average miles. It has a very annoying belt squeak, belts were recently replaced. I have been a Ford and International tech in a past life, but not much on Chryslers. I have heard 2.5s had an issue with the alt/ WP belt, and I have tightened them all as much as I dare go. The WP pulley is worn to the point of having a small groove on it, I plan to replace that. Is there any other Ancient Chinese Secrets to these belt squeaks?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike

moe 11-02-2007 02:46 PM

RE: '93 Voyager 2.5L belt noise

hey mike heres an old tsb from chrysler.might be helpful.let me know..moe!!
NO: 07-02-93 Rev. A
SUBJECT: Alternator Belt Noise Caused By Pulley Misalignment-Alignment - Vehicles Equipped With 2.2L/2.5L Engine.
DATE: Sep. 10, 1993
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 07-02-93. WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. REVISIONS ARE PRINTED IN RED AND HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A chirping or snapping noise being generated near the front of the engine while the engine is running.
The alternator drive belt is missing or has "walked partially off the pulley".
The snapping noise sounds similar to a bad alternator bearing or electrical arcing. The noise and belt "walking" may be caused by alternator pulley misalignment-alignment, and is not a bad alternator.
DIAGNOSIS:
CAUTION: EXTREME CARE SHOULD BE USED WHEN WORKING UNDER THE HOOD WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.
Set the parking brake, shift the transmission into neutral and start the engine. If the noise is being generated near the front of the engine, a spray-type water bottle should be used to spray the grooved side of the alternator belt with water while the engine is running. If the noise subsides and then returns as the belt dries, perform the repair procedure. If the noise does not subside, alternator pulley misalignment-alignment is not the cause of the noise.
NOTE: DO NOT USE BELT DRESSING, SILICONE SPRAY OR BRAKE FLUID AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR WATER. THESE MATERIALS WILL ACT AS A LUBRICANT AND TEMPORARILY MASK THE NOISE.
If the alternator belt is missing or has "walked" partially off either or both the alternator and crankshaft pulleys, the pulleys must be inspected far foreign material lodged in their grooves. If the pulley grooves are found clean, perform the repair procedure.
The front edge of the alternator belt should track 2 mm - 3 mm from the front edge of the water pump pulley. If the tracking is not in this range and there is a belt noise problem, perform the repair procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:

Quantity

Description

Part No.

Flat Washer

Belt, Alternator Drive

Bracket, A/C and Alternator Mounting
**(Not Required for 1991 - 1993 Vehicles)**

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This repair involves replacement of the A/C and alternator mounting bracket, alternator drive belt and, if necessary, the installation of washers to align the alternator pulley.
[ol][*]With the ignition key in the OFF position, disconnect the negative battery cable.[*]Loosen the alternator adjustment screw lack nut, mounting bolt, and belt adjusting bolt. Remove the alternator belt and A/C belt.[*]Remove the A/C compressor and the alternator. Remove the A/C compressor and alternator bracket. On 1989-1990 vehicles, install the new A/C and alternator bracket (P/N 4556173) using the following procedure. For 1991, **1992 and 1993** vehicles, use the following procedure to re-torque the original bracket. **1991, 1992 AND 1992** VEHICLES ARE ALREADY EQUIPPED WITH THE NEW STYLE BRACKET. DO NOT REPLACE THE BRACKET.
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE IS CRITICAL. THE TORQUE SEQUENCE MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS STATED IN STEP 4 THROUGH STEP 9.[*]Pre-torque one side of the black bolt to 15 in. lbs. (1.7 Nm).[*]Tighten the front of the block bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).[*]Tighten the front of the black nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).[*]Tighten the five side of the head and black bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).[*]On turbo and 2.5L engines, tighten the engine mount fore/aft through bolt to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).[*]Install the original alternator and tighten the pivot bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).[*]Install the original A/C compressor.[*]Install the new alternator drive belt (P/N 4713100). Tighten the adjusting bolt to increase alternator bolt tension to 160 lbs.[*]Tighten the adjusting bolt lock nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).[*]Start the vehicle and check far belt noise. Spray the alternator drive belt with water. If any chirping noise is created, the alternator is not properly aligned and the rest of the procedure must be followed. If the noise is eliminated, install the A/C drive belt as described in the appropriate service manual to complete the repair.[*]Loosen the alternator belt and the alternator pivot bolt.[*]Install the existing flat washer and the new flat washer (P/N 6500299) as shown in Figure 1. The two washers must be centered with respect to the pivot bolt.[*]Replace and tighten the alternator pivot bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).[*]Install the new alternator drive belt as described in steps 11 and 12.[*]Install the A/C drive belt as described in the appropriate service manual. [/ol]
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No.

Description

Time

07-20-10-92

Alternator Bracket Replace or Re-torque AN

0.5 Hrs.

AA, AC, AG, Al, AP, AS

0.7 Hrs.

07-20-10-93

Alternator Bracket Washer

0.1 Hrs.

07-20-10-69

Air Conditioning Equipped Add AN

0.2 Hrs.

AA, AC, AG, Al, AP, AS

0.3 Hrs.

5 string Mike 11-03-2007 05:13 PM

RE: '93 Voyager 2.5L belt noise

Thanks, Moe. Hopefully this will take care of it I appreciate you taking the time to provide the details of the TSB. I'll keep you posted on how it works. One thing, I will have to change the pulley on the WP. It's been slipping for so long, there is a groove worn into the pulley, so if I change the belt tracking, I am afraid it will damage the new belt. The good news is that I caled the local Chrysler dealer and they can get one next day for ~$13. I should get the washer kit, too. According to the bulletin, the '93 had the updated bracket, so I shouldn't need to change that.

Thanks again,

Mike