Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   Chrysler Aspen 2007/ Lod shaking (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/chrysler-aspen-2007-lod-shaking-27946/)

Laura Zitko 08-06-2017 05:54 AM

Chrysler Aspen 2007/ Lod shaking

My Chrysler Aspen started shaking at certain speeds, especially on freeway. It stops when I apply the brakes or acclelerate. It also shakes at low speeds. I had 4 new tires put on around 5 mo. ago. I took it to a local mechanic but, of course, the shaking stopped. He ran a diagnostic test and nothing was wrong. I am on disability with a limited income and every time I take my vehicle in to the shop they find a ton of problems and I leave feeling like I have been totally taken advantage of (I am clueless when it comes to automobiles). I just wanted to research the problem before spending a ton of money...Any ideas?

Laura Zitko 08-06-2017 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Laura Zitko (Post 101545)
My Chrysler Aspen started shaking at certain speeds, especially on freeway. It stops when I apply the brakes or acclelerate. It also shakes at low speeds. I had 4 new tires put on around 5 mo. ago. I took it to a local mechanic but, of course, the shaking stopped. He ran a diagnostic test and nothing was wrong. I am on disability with a limited income and every time I take my vehicle in to the shop they find a ton of problems and I leave feeling like I have been totally taken advantage of (I am clueless when it comes to automobiles). I just wanted to research the problem before spending a ton of money...Any ideas?

I meant to say " loud shaking"

Uniform4Mike 08-09-2017 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Laura Zitko (Post 101545)

Laura, one idea that I would consider is the re-balancing of your tires. I would go to a reputable place. A Good Year by me offers "Forced Road" balancing for a few extra dollars which wouldn't hurt. I would also take a good solid look at your tires, inspect them thoroughly for any bulges or flat spots, though rare and most likely not the cause, it's always good from time to time to check them out; especially after getting them replaced. Lastly, ensure your wheel lug nuts are tight, but just to make sure I would check them. I believe the lug nuts are 22mm and with 1/2" drive socket/ratchet combination, you can ensure they are tight.

Let us know.

Steve

Laura Zitko 08-11-2017 05:00 PM

Steve

I took it into Goodyear and they said I had a broken drive shaft and the 2 controller arms. They gave me a quote of 1100.00. Does this sound accurate.

calamity coyote 08-12-2017 11:41 AM

For starters, if you feel a shop is taking advantage of you, you need to find another shop. Repair shops should make you feel comfortable. Not only in their knowledge on working on your vehicle, but in making sure you understand what they are talking about by explaining in detail or showing you what they talking about. You can also seek advice from a second shop for confirmation of work needed as well as a comparison price.

Secondly, if you have broken a drive shaft & two control arms, you have been doing some serious off road driving. It takes a lot to break a control arm and even more to break a drive shaft. Unless you live in a state that salts roads and they have simply rusted through or the half shafts have not been properly maintained.

A few things you don't mention is what kind of drive line you have. 2WD or 4WD. You also don't specify which control arms (upper or lower) or which drive shaft (front,rear,half) are broken. Perhaps they didn't clarify which were broken. The front and half shafts would only apply if you have 4WD.

However, here are some prices for you for these components. Note these are just quick price look ups on popular Chrysler parts websites and do not include labor.

Upper control arm: $125.00
Lower control arm: $700.00
Half Shafts: $100.00 ** Only on 4WD vehicles **
Front Drive Shaft: $400-$600 ** Only on 4WD vehicles **
Rear Drive Shaft: $400-$500

Hope this helps.

Uniform4Mike 08-14-2017 05:47 AM

Laura,

I completely agree with Calamity Coyote, I was thinking the exact same things and I recommend you going some place else for another opinion. Like CC said, short of some serious off roading, I can't image have all those repairs being necessary.

Please keep us informed.

Steve