Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   Post rebuild problem (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/post-rebuild-problem-18034/)

lotharamc 08-02-2012 11:34 PM

Post rebuild problem

Car: 03 Sebring conv. 2.7 manual trans. yes it is a t850 5 speed.

I bought it with a rod knock due to the sludging problem. I have rebuilt it, and now it won't run. It turns over, has spark, has fuel. I have checked and double checked all connectors. New crank and cam sensors.

Attempt no 1: I disconnected the cam sensor to build the oil pressure before actually starting. When I reconnected it I got nothing. It is turning over nicely. I checked the cam and crank sensors per the service manual. They checked ok but I replaced them anyway. Still nothing.

The ignition fuses are ok, the auto shut down relay is clicking when the key is turned. I turned it over with a spark plug out, and got spark. I sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body, and tried straight gas. Still nothing. Not even a hiccup, or fart. I would think it would fire through the throttle body or hit at the wrong time even if I got the timing wrong.

Questions:
Can the flywheel be attached out of position, more than one position? I assumed this was the case since the hole pattern isn't even. I just rotated it until I could get all of the bolts in.

I know the timing chain is a pain with these. Does the following sound correct. All of the sprockets and links lined up as they should. I turned the engine over a few times with no valve issues and the links no longer line up. They are roughly 3 links off on the cam sprockets when the crank is lined up with the correct mark. I read a web page about this and according to it, this is normal. I turned it over 70+ times and eventually got the marks to line up again. I think this is good but I'm not sure.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've rebuilt numerous engines, but a 92 rt spirit is the newest one. The Obd scanner isn't giving me anything because it hasn't run yet. I know I'm getting fuel. I've been trying this so much that the unused gas has seeped past the rings and is making the oil smell like gas. I will change the oil when I get it to fire but I'm not going to keep changing it if I can't get it to run.

scooby 08-03-2012 08:11 AM

Well let me first start off by saying , im no tech - however , im at a old guys house this morning (im thinking a friend of the family?) anyway he has been a bmw tech for over 20 years , he is looking at my car at the current time , (im at his house) too damn bad his daughter is still asleep:mad: anyway he had me pull up this site looking for some info and he stumbled across your post and said :i bet $5 bucks his timing is off: now you quoted this is not your first rodeo and you seem to know what the hell your doing , this is all i could offer. good luck and may the force be with you.

lotharamc 08-03-2012 12:48 PM

I'm out of things to try externally, so I'm going to try the timing chain this weekend. I'm not looking forward to it. doing it on an engine stand is a snap, in a transverse car, not so much.