General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windows steam up below 32 degreeson 08 300

Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Unhappy Windows steam up below 32 degreeson 08 300

All my widows steam up real bad below 32 degrees. This can happen within a mile. I have had this car since new and this started about 3 years ago. I have had it into to the dealer and they changed the heater core and blend door module and it made no difference. It only happens when the car is moving. If I leave the car sit for a few hours all the windows clear up. If I stop and leave the defroster on the windows clear up but as soon as I start driving the windows steam up immediately. If I put the back windows down some it will help some. I have contacted Chrysler but that is getting me no where.
I see that other people have posted this before but have not gotten the problem solved.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 AM

I assume you have auto temp control in that 300. try putting it in a manual mode and see how that works. I have a T&C van with auto temp and it will do similar to your situation if I leave it in the high or low auto mode of the dash controls. This is my first van with this system from the previous 6 vans owned during the last 25 years, so had to do a bit of LEARNING of how to operate things for best results up here near Buffalo NY.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanks, That's the only way that I can get them to clear is to put in on defrost and turn the fan to high. I have checked the carpets on top and under and they are dry. I also checked above the headliner, under the back seat, under the trunk mat and made sure that the door drains are open. Everything checks out good. The cabin filter is dry. I tried running it without the cabin filter and it's the same. It's not smoked in. I used different kinds of window cleaner and even tried waxing the windows and using detailer on the windows. I have put Rain-X window defogger on them and that helped some for a couple of days. It only seems to fog when the car is moving.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 AM

I realize the 300 is supposed to be a top class ride. but with my T&C I have found that until well warmed up in operation that auto settings do not work well in cold conditions. EXERCISE the right arm and hand and use manual control positioning like windshield/floor, and have temp setting on high.
How far are you driving anyway? SHORT "hops" in cold temps. is a problem in all cars.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM

I have a serious and dangerous window steaming problem to the point where I can’t see out of the windows when I’m driving. I wasn’t looking for sarcasm. I was hoping that someone had this problem and could help with the cure for it. But I guess this is not a site for help. It’s just a site where people express their sarcasm.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:54 PM

I am truly sorry if you took my posting as SARCASM! It was NOT meant that way at all.
What little description you gave of how you operate the heating controls of your 300, I was just trying to express what I have found that works for my auto temp system equipped T&C in hopes it would help you. Now if you want a technical response to your situation, as an auto tech of over 25 years with most all makes of cars, I can give you a nice long list of things that need to be checked. But you sound like a person that is just going to go to your dealer and put it in their lap to fix anyway and not worth me typing up all the things I could speak of. GOOD LUCK with your 300.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Default 300 Window steaming problem CURED !!!!!!!!!

I finally got my 2008 300C window steaming problem fixed after 4 years of fighting it. The blend door was broke from the shaft. Don the service manager at Chrysler World in Abrams WI. told Chrysler to tell me that when this happens(which is below 32 degrees) to put a window part way down and turn the heat off and turn the air-conditioning on !!!!!! I didn't go for that. It took me calling Chrysler and telling them that this is dangerous and needs to be fixed. I have filed a claim with the Nation traffic highway safety administration. Chrysler called the dealer in Abrams WI and told them that this needs to be fixed. They found that the blend door was broke off from the shaft. 10 hours of labor and a new part plus the heater core and blender module and it is all good now. I only had to pay $100.00 for both trips to the dealer and all the work that they did because I have the Maxi Care lifetime warranty.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:29 PM

Did this ever make a "clicking noise" from the dash area during the 4 years you have said you fought the "fogging" problem? That would have been good info to have posted if so.
Glad you got the problem "squared away" !

Old 03-06-2018, 03:55 PM

This never made a clicking noise. I did notice that when i pushed the recirculation button the light came on but I could not hear any change in anything. The dealer assured me that all was working. But that was not true.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Of all the Chrysler models that I have been associated with that use the same design (maybe a slight "layout" diff.) the actuator and gear would "click" due to the teeth skipping from binding of the actual door. Have not heard of the the rod/door connection breaking. BUT anything is possible, and does NOT make every car made a potential death trap for the situation YOU encountered. It was a labor intensive repair to be sure, and HAPPY for YOU that you got out as inexpensively as you did.