Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Chrysler Voyager 1999 heater pin plug problem (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/chrysler-voyager-1999-heater-pin-plug-problem-28355/)

Zoe Elizabeth Cowan Bolton 10-29-2017 05:19 AM

Chrysler Voyager 1999 heater pin plug problem

Hi, please forgive me if I do not use the correct terminology but I really need some help. Single mum to 4 and trying to fix my car on my own! I was having various electrical problems which eventually resulted in the car being immobilise. After investigating I found the earth wire on the heater plug had melted the plastic casing. Initially proud to have worked out the problem I am now faced with the repair! Firstly is it something I can attempt fairly easily bearing in mind I am no mechanic or electrician but equally quite able as I have had no choice but to learn and fix other problems with my car in the past few years. Secondly what is the part called or part no? Thanks in advance

dcotter0579 10-30-2017 09:43 AM

Welcome to the forum. Your description of the "problem" is actually a description of a symptom of some other problem that may be elsewhere. A ground wire that got hot and melted a connector was being asked to carry much more current than it was designed to carry, indicating a short circuit somewhere along the line. Replacing the melted connector won't solve that underlying problem. As far as whether you can make the repairs yourself, only you know the extent of your abilities and your toolbox, so you'll have to decide for yourself whether you are up to the task. If you are serious about learning to repair your car, buy a shop manual such as a Chilton's or a Haynes manual for your model and year and read through the relevant sections. Then you can decide if you are up to the task. Even if you decide to hire it out, you'll be able to intelligently discuss the repairs with your mechanic and are less likely to be taken for a ride.
Because of the age of the car, (19 years now) you won't be able to get parts from a dealer, but there may be aftermarket parts available. There are online sources like rockauto.com and others; there is also eBay where you might find someone parting out a car like yours and there are also junkyards.
In future, post your questions here in the section of the forum devoted to Chrysler Voyager and Town & Country models. There is an active contingent there from the UK who can offer advice.

Zoe Elizabeth Cowan Bolton 10-31-2017 12:51 PM

Thank you for your reply and what you say now makes sense to me. I had read on this forum that the heated earth wire on the pin is a common Chrysler problem/fault. I was hoping because it occurs regularly that someone may know how to best resolve it.