Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   power drain - voyager 2005 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/power-drain-voyager-2005-a-11972/)

sharpe 07-23-2010 11:41 AM

power drain - voyager 2005

Hi - can anyone help? My 2005 Voyager has been at a main dealer for 4 days so far for a power drain and apparently no closer to a solution but closer bankruptcy! Are there any common causes? :(

dcotter0579 07-23-2010 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum. You can find a short by connecting an ammeter into the battery connection and pulling fuses one at a time until the drain stops. Then you have to trace down every wire in the isolated circuit until you find where the current is going.
This is not rocket science and you are probably able to do this yourself rather than pay a high priced mechanic to do the same thing.

If the car has old collision damage, that's a prime spot to start looking. Even a minor fenderbender can loosen wiring and start it rubbing where it shouldn't.

sharpe 07-24-2010 03:02 AM

Thank you for your reply. Bit too involved for me. The breakdown man sugggested that the alternator was the cause of the drain, the garage said not. My husband suggested pulling fuses to the garage to localise the drain and they dismissed the idea immediately! we have also had problems with the alarm sounding for no apparent reason but with no lights flashing. The garage said this was unrelated. I also had an incident about 6 months ago where I was driving along and the car just cut out completely, the engine light stayed on for a while, but again no diagnosis.

CHRYSLER TECH 07-25-2010 12:23 AM

My husband suggested pulling fuses to the garage to localise the drain and they dismissed the idea immediately!

what a bunch of idiots that is exactly how U find a power drain with an amp meter hooked up pull fuses

sharpe 07-25-2010 05:09 AM

This problem is really disappointing and upsetting, I spoke to the garage yesterday, Friday, they were rude saying that if they had found anything they would have phoned me, THEY DIDNT EVEN DO ANY WORK ON IT YESTERDAY! If they dont find a fault on Monday, thats a week they have had the vehicle, we will have to try another dealer. I loved this car, it has been perfect for my family's needs. :( Looks like we are heading for a dispute with them. Any suggestions??

CHRYSLER TECH 07-25-2010 12:07 PM

they start to pay for a rental car speak to the general manger

sharpe 07-27-2010 03:40 AM

Hooray! They said they think they have found the problem 'a relay to a glow plug'? But the part will take up to a week to come from Germany! Dont know what state the car will come back in. Last week they where pulling out the radio and sat nav media etc to check the drain, see if it was coming from there. Looks like I am going to be without the car for another week.