Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Other (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/)
-   -   1989 5th Avenue (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/1989-5th-avenue-20937/)

DavidWood 12-01-2013 09:28 AM

1989 5th Avenue

OK, this 5th Avenue has been sitting for 5 yrs. I know very little about Lean Burn and this model/body. When first started it idled VERY fast. I let everything warm up and then shut down. Dieseled like an old Cadillac I once had. Which gave me a hint where to look. After removing air cleaner I find an odd (for me) 2bbl carb. Located the fast idle cam and flipped it down. Then restarted and she ran rather normal. Driving home (15 miles) I did notice some of the high idle had returned. Along with a lil engine miss. In the drive she idled fast, but not as fast as first started. And did diesel again. Next day she fired right up. Idled fine and there's that lil miss again. Like when I first flipped the fast idle down, she didn't diesel when shut down. Now, I've only had the car since Friday. Drove once to get home and I fiddled with interior lights and radio then cleaned out trash and reorganized trunk Saturday. While looking up what turned out to be scant info and lots of web posts about the "evil" Lean Burn and how to remove. Which I don't want to do. It's an original unbuggered Chrysler and I'd like to keep it that way.

Can anyone fill me in on the best way to end the fast idle and dieseling?

mopardave 12-01-2013 02:28 PM

Lean Burn

I have an '88 5th, it is my 3rd one. The Lean Burn (LB) had been deactivated on all of them. You are not buggering up anything, You can't tell that any of mine had the LB removed unless you knew to look for where I had hidden the resistor block. You'd like the switch and if not it takes about 20 mins to reinstall the orig distributor and remove the electronic ignition box. Dave

mrfixit 12-04-2013 09:24 PM

I worked for a cab company and the cabs had (LB) we bought conversion kits for them and this ended us having to drive many miles to tow them back to the garage.

walk or ride you decide.

DavidWood 12-05-2013 06:23 PM

Either I'm a stickler or just not accepting the premise of pulling the Lean Burn system out. Especially a fleet vehicle. I can well understand doing as one will with a problem prone setup. Living in an area that inspects emission equipment for completeness, many cars in D/FW don't start seeing mods till they reach 25yrs. Which is why so many end up in wrecking yards early here.

Since few enough survive around D/FW of this series, I'd just like to keep it original. Ordered an original service manual and a chyrsler ignition/ fuel set up.

mopardave 12-06-2013 07:07 AM

DavidWood, what makes up a "chrysler ignition/fuel set up".

mrfixit 12-06-2013 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by DavidWood (Post 75412)
Either I'm a stickler or just not accepting the premise of pulling the Lean Burn system out. Especially a fleet vehicle. I can well understand doing as one will with a problem prone setup. Living in an area that inspects emission equipment for completeness, many cars in D/FW don't start seeing mods till they reach 25yrs. Which is why so many end up in wrecking yards early here.

Since few enough survive around D/FW of this series, I'd just like to keep it original. Ordered an original service manual and a chyrsler ignition/ fuel set up.

All i can say is have fun finding parts for that old bird.

DavidWood 12-07-2013 08:34 AM

Simple, I failed to say fuel and ignition manual for 1989 5.2 and 5.9 engines. My bad. Ebay is fantastic for old original manuals.

You bet, I understand parts will be hard to come by. Not as difficult as my wife's prior Plymouth FireArrow I would hope. Part of the reason she sold it. Before something broke.

Ahem, OK, I confess, Bought it, jumped the battery, flipped the fast idle and then drove it the 15 miles home. Yesterday the Texas 130-U came in from the prior owner. Not bad for $100 with only the inspection expired and 3/8ths of a tank of gas. As soon as this odd snowstorm blows over? I'll take some shots and post a link. So, don't snark till you see exactly what I mean by unbuggered and all there. You'll maybe understand why I would like to keep original.

I haven't bought a running car that reasonable since 1987. A 73 Olds 98 2dr for $50. Those were the days! Then again that Olds wasn't even close to cherry. But, it ran!

mopardave 12-08-2013 07:38 AM

You bought it for a $100.00? I have the service manual that u r referring to. Give me ur email address and I'll send you a pix of a non LB and let you figure what is missing or added.