Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Other (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/)
-   -   94 LaBaron Trans (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/94-labaron-trans-11367/)

xkikbxr 04-28-2010 08:42 AM

94 LaBaron Trans

Hi,
I have a 94 Labaron. It is a V6 auto trans center console shifter convertible. It's my sisters car. I know nothing about Chrysler or Dodge products. The car has sat for 2+ years. I got the car running. last week. I moved it up and down the driveway. It sound good. My sister plated the car and started to drive it. It ran and shifted well for about 3 or 4 miles she then came to a stop and the accelerated to about 20mph. The car seemed like the brakes came on and threw her up against the steering wheel. It seems like the trans has a breaking system on it. I drove it and it did the same thing. When the car stops you can shift it to all gears. It will not move in any forward gear unless you shut the car off and restart it. The car will not lock up if you keep it at under 10mph. I was looking through the repair manual for this car and it says something about a pressure valve in the trans and a rod or cable to the throttle. I only see the throttle cable no rods or cables next to it. Any info on what could be the problem would be appreciated before I have to take it to a mechanic.
Thanks,
Kik

TMPtracy 09-23-2010 01:50 AM

So, if I understand correctly, the car will not "brake" (so-to-speak), as long as it does not shift out of first gear and into second. Is that about right?

Another question; When it does this thing, does the car continue to run when it comes to a stop or does it stall out and die? I'm assuming that when you stated,

Originally Posted by xkikbxr (Post 36755)
Hi,
It will not move in any forward gear unless you shut the car off and restart it.

,it means it stays running.

This may take me some time to pin down, but if you help me with information, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

xkikbxr 09-23-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TMPtracy (Post 41082)
So, if I understand correctly, the car will not "brake" (so-to-speak), as long as it does not shift out of first gear and into second. Is that about right?

TM, My sister sold the car off to a family member or her deceased husband so I don't know if the car ever got fixed. You are correct though, if you kept the car under 10mph the trans would not lock up.

Another question; When it does this thing, does the car continue to run when it comes to a stop or does it stall out and die? I'm assuming that when you stated,
,it means it stays running.

Yes the car would stay running it did not die. You could take it from park all the way through each seperate gear and the car would not move. You had to shut the car off and restart the car before the trans would let the car roll.

This may take me some time to pin down, but if you help me with information, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thank you for taking interest in this but I have no idea of the cars status at this point so I wouldn't bother researching it. I would consider this thread dead.
Thank you.

jacksmit 12-13-2010 04:27 PM

The very first thing I want to tell you that 94 Labaron is a very nice car. I also have a same car and some time have also faced the same problem, I think you don't have to waste any time and you should show your car to any nice mechanic because I had also wasted a lot of time and know my cars condition is miserable.