Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Other (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/)
-   -   99 LHS Coolant Leak! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/99-lhs-coolant-leak-18652/)

Steveoski 11-23-2012 12:49 PM

99 LHS Coolant Leak!

Hey guys I am new here and I have a problem with my Chrysler. So the other day I noticed a big puddle underneath my car and it appeared that all the coolant had leaked out. I had to pull over and add water to make it home. So I waited until the next day then I jacked it up in poured about a half gallon of water into it, immediately I noticed that it was pouring out kind of fast underneath the car. I crawled under and saw that it was dripping down off of the starter. Well I know the starter doesn't have coolant n it so I know it couldn't be leaking from that and had to be above it. Unfortunately it is a very tight fit and I cannot see above it. It is my understanding that coolant can be leaking from a head gasket, a bad rad cap, a hose, the radiator or the reservoir itself, water pump and thermostat. I am not sure which of these it is. I do know that the car doesn't have to be running for the coolant to leak out. It starts leaking as soon as the water is poured into the reservoir. The spot in which is leaking is about the middle of the car and looks to be directly above the starter or in that region. I was hoping maybe someone who is familiar with this car can tell me what is located in that area and what may be the source of the leak. Is there any other things I can do with hopes to find the source of the leak? I am really hoping it is not a cracked engine block since I am not sure if the water pump- thermostat is located in that area . If anyone has some insight into this it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

FIREM 11-23-2012 03:47 PM

Make sure the resivoir is not cracked, common issue.
There is a heater pipe that runs in the area you describe. Short hose from the thermostat housing to a pipe up and behind the starter. It goes behind the head, one end to the resivior, other end to heater hose.
Known to rot out and leak. Is a PITA to replace if it is the leak. Starter will need to come out for access.

catalina0029 12-24-2012 07:08 AM

FIREM, this is the understatement of the year! My GOD this is a tough task. Not only does the starter have to come out, so does the left front motor mount. I unbolted both motor mounts, jacked the engine up about 4" and removed the drivers side motor mount. Then the starter and all the cowling junk behind the motor. Been at it for about 16 hrs. Oh yeah, the hood latch cable broke at the start of the job...sweet! To increase one's skill level, the oil pressure switch was leaking at the crip and there is oil everwhere. Yeah!! It's my daughters car or it would ahve a new owner!
This is a very dificult job to do on the floor.