Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Other (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/)
-   -   Parking Brakes stuck (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/parking-brakes-stuck-28544/)

megapossum 11-27-2017 08:14 AM

Parking Brakes stuck

My 92 LeBaron convertible was parked a year ago and when the parking brake was applied the cable came loose from lever. When I got around to repair it, I can't get the brake released. Has drums on rear(which are stuck) and discs on front. Need help in releasing. Have tried backing car up-plows two furrows in ground. Tried heating drum with heat gun and whacking drum with small sledge hammer. Didn't work. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate suggestions.

05chrysler 11-27-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by megapossum (Post 103240)
My 92 LeBaron convertible was parked a year ago and when the parking brake was applied the cable came loose from lever. When I got around to repair it, I can't get the brake released. Has drums on rear(which are stuck) and discs on front. Need help in releasing. Have tried backing car up-plows two furrows in ground. Tried heating drum with heat gun and whacking drum with small sledge hammer. Didn't work. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate suggestions.

There should be a rubber grommet on the back of the drum. Pop the rubber grommet off and there should be an adjustment if you use a flashlight you can see it better. That will help you release the brake shoes to remove the drums

megapossum 11-28-2017 09:00 AM

Thanks 05Chrysler. I'd considered your solution as I'm old enough to remember working on drum brakes. What I remember is using a slim screwdriver to hold up something in drum and using a brake tool to turn a "star wheel" to make adjustments. What I don't remember is whether to turn the star wheel down or up? Guess if it gets tighter it means I'm going the wrong way? Can you comment on this aspect of the procedure please.

05chrysler 11-28-2017 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by megapossum (Post 103272)
Thanks 05Chrysler. I'd considered your solution as I'm old enough to remember working on drum brakes. What I remember is using a slim screwdriver to hold up something in drum and using a brake tool to turn a "star wheel" to make adjustments. What I don't remember is whether to turn the star wheel down or up? Guess if it gets tighter it means I'm going the wrong way? Can you comment on this aspect of the procedure please.

Honestly I don't remember which way it turns either

megapossum 11-28-2017 06:30 PM

Thanks 05chrysler, will use trial and error and see if I can get it undone.

megapossum 07-28-2018 03:52 PM

The solution to the stuck parking brake problem was solved by the following procedure:removed rubber grommets from both backing plates and squirted rust buster type solvent with wick over everything inside trying to hit star wheel and adjuster mechanisms. Also sprayed same on the wheel studs where they protruded through drums as they appeared rusted to drums. Let it set for a couple of days and repeated same procedure. Let set another day and started whacking the drums on the front between the studs with a short handled small sledge hammer. Actually a friend helped with this part as he said I wasn't hitting hard enough. Finally he got one of the drums to move a little and renewed the effort, slid a flat brake tool between backing plate and edge of drum and moved it around the drum prying a little all way around. He finally got first one and then the other drums off! The brake shoes were worn out with the bonded shoes breaking loose in chunks. Anyway I've got everythink off and bought new wheel cylinders, brake shoes(hd riveted), new brake hardware, new starwheel adjusting assemblies, etc. the part that the parking brake cable attaches to is connected to the brake shoe and is all rusted up. I think before putting back together I'll buy new ones. I know I'm taking a long time to make this repair, but at 78 I don't get in the mood to on the more difficult jobs as readily as I once did. Thanks to all that made suggestions. I had the correct idea basically from the start, but just wasn';t swinging the hammer with enough force! Maybe if anyone else has this problem, this might help.