Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Other (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/)
-   -   stratus from 1991 question (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/other-23/stratus-1991-question-9583/)

galloway 10-23-2009 04:21 PM

stratus from 1991 question

ok one of my neighbours just gave me his old stratus(2,5 liter v6) cause he didnt want it. its a convertible so i took it without any further hesitation. the car in general is in perfect state and its pretty new(50000 miles). ok so it took me ages to figure out where the battery was but i found it. now i need to get to the fuel tank but i cant figure out how to lift the rear seats. any suggestions?? thanks!

CHRYSLER TECH 10-23-2009 10:41 PM

they did not make a stratus in 1991

galloway 10-24-2009 03:51 PM

k so its 96. i checked the papers. it says 91 at the bottom of the front wind screen. anyways-i still cant figure out how to pull down th seats and get to the tank.

CHRYSLER TECH 10-24-2009 08:20 PM

FUEL PUMP MODULE
WARNING: RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. SERVICE VEHICLES IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS AND AVOID IGNITION SOURCES. NEVER SMOKE WHILE SERVICING THE VEHICLE.

REMOVAL
Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure. Refer to Fuel Delivery System in this Group.
Disconnect negative cable from auxilary jumper terminal.
Remove fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank in this group.
Disconnect fuel filter lines from fuel pump module.
Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.
Using Special Tool #6856 Fuel Pump Module Ring Spanner, remove locknut to release pump module Fuel Pump Module Locknut
WARNING: THE FUEL RESERVOIR OF THE FUEL PUMP MODULE DOES NOT EMPTY OUT WHEN THE TANK IS DRAINED. THE FUEL IN THE RESERVOIR MAY SPILL OUT WHEN THE MODULE IS REMOVED.

Remove fuel pump module and O-ring from tank Fuel Pump Module Removal Discard O-ring.
INSTALLATION
Wipe seal area of tank clean. Place a new O-ring on the ledge between the tank threads and the pump module opening.
Position fuel pump module in tank. Make sure the alignment tab on the underside of the pump module flange sits in the corresponding notch in the fuel tank
CAUTION: Over tightening the pump lock ring may result in a leak.

While holding the pump module in position, install locknut. Tighten locknut to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs) torque using special tool #6856.
Install fuel tank and fuel filter. Refer to Fuel Tank in this group.
Fill fuel tank with clean fuel. Check for leaks.
Install negative cable to auxiliary jumper terminal.

TMPtracy 09-23-2010 02:14 AM

galloway,

Going by the way you have spelled NEIGBO(U)R, and the fact that you have a Stratus convertible, I'm guessing that you are across the pond. England? Elsewhere? In the States, there was no Stratus Convertible. I'm guessing they put the Stratus name on the U.S. Sebring model for overseas sales.

Anyway....the rear seats should come out similar to any others. Shove back (towards the trunk), on the seat base while simultaneously pushing slightly up to pop the seat base from it's front brackets. You may need to give it a pretty good shove!!
If you need to remove the backrest, then by the time you get the base removed, the backrest will be self-explanatory.

Thing is, I'm not sure you can get to the fuel pump from there. Not sure though.
The only other alternative, if you can't, is to drop the tank. It seems pretty much guaranteed by CHRYSLER TECH's post in the third line under REMOVAL;

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 31643)

REMOVAL
Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure. Refer to Fuel Delivery System in this Group.
Disconnect negative cable from auxilary jumper terminal.
Remove fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank in this group.
Disconnect fuel filter lines from fuel pump module.
Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.
Using Special Tool #6856 Fuel Pump Module Ring Spanner, remove locknut to release pump module Fuel Pump Module Locknut
WARNING: THE FUEL RESERVOIR OF THE FUEL PUMP MODULE DOES NOT EMPTY OUT WHEN THE TANK IS DRAINED. THE FUEL IN THE RESERVOIR MAY SPILL OUT WHEN THE MODULE IS REMOVED.

Break out the big jack stands, or find a friend with an auto lift! Oh and try to run out as much fuel as possible to make things a little lighter!! ;)

I had to do a fuel pump in my old 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix.......on the cold concrete floor........in winter.........with tiny jack stands..........and limited tools!:eek: Not fun, especially since it had a 1/2 tank of fuel in it at the time!! Luckily, these days I have a 2-post electro-hydraulic lift at my disposal. Best damn investment I've ever made for working on my own stuff!:D

Best of luck to you! Hope it goes well!